Additional Features for CAPTURE

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
creativespiral

Additional Features for CAPTURE

Post by creativespiral » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:28 pm

The MIDI Capture feature is awesome! Have gotten a ton of use out of it already... but it could be even better! -

MIDI CAPTURE UPGRADES:
Buffer record the MIDI for ALL MIDI tracks, whether they are record enabled or not. I have many devices hooked up, and have found several times where I'm jamming out ideas on a device, then go to MIDI capture them after, only to find the specific track wasn't record enabled. (many outboard synths) Doh! Also, with my electronic drum setup, I've got a V-Drum kit, SPD-20 and MIDI mallet that all send MIDI to different channels... when I'm jamming out ideas on the hybrid drum kit, I would like to be able to hop back over to Ableton and "CAPTURE" all three MIDI tracks that represent the "complete performance".

The way I envision implementation of MULTI TRACK MIDI CAPTURE:
1: Have an option in preferences to enable or disable the multi track capture buffering (in case there's a reason for people not wanted it enabled)... Since MIDI is such a low data rate, I think there would be no performance issues, even if it was always buffering a dozen MIDI tracks or more. But having a global switch to turn off might be a good implementation.
2: Continuously buffer all MIDI track data... should be super low amount of data... in the kilobytes.
3: When this multi track MIDI capture enable, and user clicks the capture button, it pops up a window with a list of all MIDI tracks in project, with checkboxes next to each. The user checks the boxes next to the tracks that he/she wants to retrieve from the buffer, and clicks a submit button... then all the selected MIDI capture tracks are input to clips.. possibly adding a scene at bottom of project in order to capture them all to the same row... The tempo calculation could be based on combined midi captured, or just on a single track.

AUDIO CAPTURE:
It would be immensely useful to have AUDIO TRACK CAPTURE capabilities as well. I've found several times in the past few weeks where I'm jamming out on guitar, wishing I had the ability to do a buffer capture on what I just played.

Implementation of AUDIO CAPTURE:
1: Have an option in preferences to enable or disable AUDIO BUFFER CAPTURE... if feasible, would be cool to even have multi-track capture as described above, but the data rates and system performance might become an issue... but even if this just worked with a single record enabled audio track, it would be very useful. Possibly have an option in preferences that sets not only on/off, but also maximum buffer length in seconds... for tuning of system performance.
2: If the multi track buffering could be implemented, have a pop up window like described above for MULTI MIDI CAPTURE. Otherwise, just capture the record enabled track.