Splitting/dividing midi notes

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
manicbuzz

Splitting/dividing midi notes

Post by manicbuzz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to split/divide midi notes in piano roll :?:

for example,

if I want to build a simple/complex chord progression, double the midi track fold and split the second tracks midi notes into 16th blocks to work with.

This is really slowing me down at the moment!

:D

jlgrimes

Re: Splitting/dividing midi notes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:45 pm

manicbuzz wrote:Hi all,

Is it possible to split/divide midi notes in piano roll :?:

for example,

if I want to build a simple/complex chord progression, double the midi track fold and split the second tracks midi notes into 16th blocks to work with.

This is really slowing me down at the moment!

:D

Don’t think Ableton does this directly. I think most resize the notes then duplicate.

I wish Ableton had this as well.

M4l might have a way to achieve however but I’m not sure.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:08 pm

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/midi-modulators/

If you want upgraded MIDI editing capabilities...

Cheers
D

manicbuzz

Post by manicbuzz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm

[/quote]

Don’t think Ableton does this directly. I think most resize the notes then duplicate.

I wish Ableton had this as well.

M4l might have a way to achieve however but I’m not sure.[/quote]

Seems like such a basic function to miss out.

Takes forever to manually go through and do it!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 pm

S4racen wrote:https://isotonikstudios.com/product/midi-modulators/

If you want upgraded MIDI editing capabilities...

Cheers
D

Wow might have to give that a try.

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am

I don't understand why "Command+E" just doesn't split notes in piano roll as it does clips in arrangement view? Such an essential feature still missing.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm

According to the way most people work, this would not be an essential feature, but a bug.

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm
According to the way most people work, this would not be an essential feature, but a bug.
Explain why is it a bug to split a midi note, while all other hosts has that functionality and it's useful for tons of stuff like:

- Quickly allows you cut and match the ending of many notes in a piano part and let them end at the same time without dealing with many notes one by one.

- Allows you split chord progressions to have retriggers without having you to copy and paste notes that would overlap with other notes and you'd have deal with keep fixing the length of the pasted notes.

- Allows you create rhythmical interest to drum parts, e.g. adding rolls etc to an existing hihat part.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I changed my mind on this, sort of. If you’re deliberately splitting notes, fine. But if you’re splitting a clip, no. I just have never had the need to split notes. I play them in and I want them to stay the way I played them.

grapereader

Post by grapereader » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:57 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm
I changed my mind on this, sort of. If you’re deliberately splitting notes, fine. But if you’re splitting a clip, no. I just have never had the need to split notes. I play them in and I want them to stay the way I played them.
Well, yeah, it would have to be deliberate like everything else, otherwise it would be a bug xD

Necroing this thread because I wish this existed. The concept of 'splitting things' should be carried over into any part of the software it can be... it's such a useful one. Take a lousy midi clip, split some notes, add some rhythm. Fun on a bun.

There are 2 equally useful operations here:
1. Split at the cursor
2. Split a note into some kind of groove, maybe along gridlines. This seems closer to what OP is suggesting.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 am

Topic moved to the Feature Wishlist forum.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Intini

Post by Intini » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 am

Hi!
I have been using Ableton Live Suite since I got Ableton Push 2 last year. It is a great software. Very inspiring in general. But with some notable omissions.
Please, can you add the "split midi notes" functions in the Clip View MIDI Editor?
I use Pro Tools and Studio One a lot and I am new to Ableton Live. Both Studio One and Pro Tools have this basic function.
I spent 4h yesterday searching the Ableton Live 11 manual and watching YouTube videos searching how to separate a midi note in two parts - such a simple task for a MIDI-oriented DAW. I was shocked Live 11 doesn't have such function. You can work around by shortening one note and adding another note. But after doing it 100s of times you get frustrated. Why make the user feel bad for something relatively simple to implement?
There is a free Max for Live device that can do MIDI slicing called "Slice Notes". It is great. But it is a tool to do other creative things besides something as simple as slicing a MIDI note in two. If for only that simple and frequently used task you must add that device to your track and work with the device's GUI - there is no shortcut - it is not so practical for everyday MIDI editing.

Please, create these shortcuts to split MIDI events in two.
My suggestion example:
<CTRL> + <S> to Split only the currently selected MIDI note in two parts at the current cursor position.
<CTRL> + <Shift> +<S> to Split all MIDI notes in the clip at the current cursor position.

* I know <CTRL> + <S> e <CTRL> + <Shift> + <S> are taken as a file save/save as.... But this is just to simplify the explanation.

Cheers.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
lmao

tomgulbinas

Post by tomgulbinas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 am

We shouldn't have to use a workaround for something so basic. Ableton's midi editor, in general, is trailing behind FL Studio's and this is one of the biggest reasons I hear for people being reluctant to switch over. Letting us split notes would definitely be a step in the right direction.

LKHD

Post by LKHD » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:55 am

jonljacobi wrote:
I'm not sure who this most people you speak of is, but I often run into this problem. In fact, I'm dealing with it right now. I have a clip which I have split in arrangement view with some long held notes in it. Ableton, even though I split the clip, preserves all the notes. This is good if you change your mind later, but the problem is I need those notes to start at the new clip beginning. but since they are technically in the middle of a hold, Ableton does not read a note start. It would be simple for me to just go into the clip and cut the notes in half creating a new beginning. Instead, in the current system I have to scroll all the way to the beginning of the note and drag it up to the new start point. I could also delete the note and draw new ones. Either of these is an obstacle in my work flow. So yes, please Ableton, add a split midi note feature, I think the cmd + e (ctrl + e) feature which works in arrangement view would be perfect. I don't see how this would be a bug even if you did not use it.