Quality of Life Changes: Let's compile a list!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Priority of options (will add as suggested)

Scrolling while dragging items
No votes
Shortcut to close all panels and open essential panels
100%

Total votes: 2

Luce_Bree

Quality of Life Changes: Let's compile a list!

Post by Luce_Bree » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

My first requests are:
  • Ability to use the scroll wheel to scroll while dragging an item, sample/track/midi item. It would speed up my workflow significantly in arrangement view.
  • A single shortcut (Maybe ??+A) to close all panes (browser, detail view, info panel, right panels) and it would open the essentials only (browser and detail view)

yonhorizon

Re: Quality of Life Changes: Let's compile a list!

Post by yonhorizon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:36 pm

More keyboard shortcuts/custom keyboard shortcuts
Open/close plugins key shortcut

Luce_Bree

Post by Luce_Bree » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 pm

yonhorizon wrote:More keyboard shortcuts/custom keyboard shortcuts
Open/close plugins key shortcut
Having the ability to do custom shortcuts would be game changing.

also it would be so nice if you could change which plugins from a chain pop up just with mouse commands!

Luce_Bree

Post by Luce_Bree » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Here's another simple one that would be amazing

A way to Manually Refresh Places

whenever I change/add files in a folder from the finder, the changes don't show up unless live decides randomly to refresh places.
so far, the only workaround I have found is saving and closing then reopening live which is a hastle.

bank-manager

Post by bank-manager » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 pm

True bypass for high-latency plugins

Even Abletons own compressor, when using lookahead, will introduce an unbearable delay while playing in notes. At least bypassing the plugin should fix that, if the "Reduce latency.." option doesn't. But Live doesn't, bypassed high latency plugins still introduce a significant delay when playing.

bank-manager

Post by bank-manager » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Automatically show plugin parameters in Push 2 that are exposed to host automation.

Example: You twist the cutoff in your favourite VST synth while recording automation in Live. Live will create a new automation lane and record that twist. That is because the VST has the cutoff parameter exposed to the host application (Live). Most VSTs have that. Why not having these accessible in Push automatically, without having to go through mapping them yourself to macro knobs? Sure the result will not always be great, cause maybe your parameter will sit beetwen 58 other parameters on page 7 of Push. But often times it works fine. That's btw how Maschine does it, Host Automation Parameters are mapped automatically and can then be changed by the user.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 am

Preview hot swaps or new devices in place without the need to load/replace. Much like BWS pop up browser

Supersport

Post by Supersport » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Grouped these into categories because my list keeps growing. If any of these are already possible, let me know, glad to learn!

General Viewing of Things
* Change the vertical zooming behavior arrangement view to be smoother w/ a finer resolution , i.e. like the piano roll does. Currently when I vertically zoom tracks it collapses them up to the top level in ~2 mouse wheel clicks which is pretty useless
* Ability to set the zoom level of all my tracks to same height in arrangement, even if they were different beforehand. (Logic Pro X accomplishes this w/ SHIFT-Clicking on a dividing line between tracks)
* Let me "freeze panes" tracks to the top of arrangement, so I can see it always. (I'd use this on showing my arrangement plan, reference tracks etc.)
* Ability to see list of recent Undo's, and rollback to a point without having to repeatedly press Command Z. Should be able to roll forward again as well.
* Ability to set the Key of my track somewhere...
* Ability to detach the Piano Roll, Mixer, device rack, arrangement view, browser into separate windows (if I so choose)
* Let me view dB levels between plug-ins on the device rack
* Increase the height of dB level meters between device rack plug-ins (double it? triple?) to give them more resolution and make clipping more obvious
* Let me hide / show tracks/groups from view
* When I widen a track in Session view, scale the width of the Meters accordingly. The super thin meter lines are not exactly the easiest to interpret
* Add a mixer view where instead of session view items above it I can see the names of all the plug-ins for all my tracks all at once (Logic Pro does it like this..., Pro Tools is similar as well)

Hotkeys
* Let me change global hotkeys i.e. if I want to hide the device rack with only pressing "L" I should be able to map this instead of COMMAND OPTION L
* Add hotkeys that MUTES / SOLOS whatever track(s)/group I have currently selected. Setting up a specific hotkey to do this for each track is not a good solution...my most recent track has 40 tracks and growing....
* Use a pinch-to-zoom gesture on a trackpad to zoom the arrangement horizontally. This should be as fluid as the using the magnifying glass to zoom.
* Holding Shift and pinch-to-zoom gesture on a trackpad should zoom vertically
* When I do a Command F search, if my browser was originally closed beforehand, close it again when I x-out the search terms or drag a file to arrangement / session view. This should be an option, so others aren't forced to use this behavior
* Add hotkeys for global vertical zooming i.e. [Shift +] & [Shift -]
* Ability to select all tracks in a group in one hotkey + click (is this possible currently?)

Other
* Ability to set a locator point where my track ends that makes the playhead stop
* Ability to set & flip between plug-in A/B states
* Let me sync Live's Collections I've set up on my samples in Live to OSX's tags into the sample file itself.
* Add more robust trackpad support, with gesture control (example, three finger swipe from bottom up should show device rack). I just discovered "BetterTouchTool" which helps a lot, but this should be native to Live