Ableton forgetting output config when device not available

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
freisig

Re: Ableton forgetting output config when device not available

Post by freisig » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 pm

I really don't understand why you haven't fixed this yet.

I have been wanting this to be fixed for more than 10 years (since version 3) and one of the many reasons why I don't do my final mix in Ableton as I use external devices and use Pro Tools or Logic Pro X.

I have a 3 x Apollo 16 setup with Midas 40Chanel mixer, various outboard comps, eq's, fx's and synths in my studio and every time I go home I only have the Arrow. So when I connect this device it removes all the I/O setup in Ableton and just enables the first two channels.

When I then want to go back to the studio and connect my studio interfaces it still needs to be re-configured/re-enabled which takes 5-10minutes every time. VERY VERY ANNOYING.

I don't have this problem in Logic Pro X and Pro Tools. But here there is also the option to setup your I/O and save it.

I simply don't understand why Ableton haven't figured out in more than 10 years how to fix this. The segment of users have changed and they way we use Ableton have also changed from just a single interface setup to a multi channel setup in different environments.'

Now I'm no programming expert but I would guess this could not be a difficult task to program. I know it's a priority thing and cost money to put programmers to work on this when there are more demand for new and smart innovative features because of competition from the other DAW manufactores. But I hope they would put the time in for this.

knoxvilletim

Post by knoxvilletim » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Hello Ableton and fellow Ableton users ...

I have the same request. I am a Beta tester for Ableton and surely this feature could be Beta tested. I believe the option to have different I/O configuration profiles to load and save as needed would be a great feature improvement.

lonbluster

Post by lonbluster » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 pm

yes, very much a problem
I am installing Ableton for the first time, and is worse than Cakewalk with multiple usb devices...
Impossible, i will break my usb stuff like this, The labels I set for Asio4all are totally swapped if i switch one of the usb devices.

For now Cakewalk free !

J-PS

Post by J-PS » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Logic does this perfectly. It is a proper pain having to go in and turn inputs/outputs back on and then save and re open every time I slightly change my setup...

lonbluster

Post by lonbluster » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am

The main bug here are the labels in the stereo and mono i/o: the same label will be applied to a different interface if the previous one in Asio4All order is missing.
So it really is confusing and even dangerous to write a label with indication of what the attached usb device is, whenever it happens that device is off or not recognized in Windows.

Terekki

Post by Terekki » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:13 pm

this is so annoying

Plumbstone

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 am

Still an issue. Any news?

It would be simplest to be able to save different preferences files for different setups.

Terekki

Post by Terekki » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm

SERIOUSLY Ableton - for a user that uses Live over 8 hours a day THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER! can you please look at this. It's so annoying I'm considering moving to another DAW.

m_sternum

Post by m_sternum » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 pm

I made a forum account to post this, massive pain in the ass having to re-setup my interface each time I plug it in if I've been using something else. I'm often switching between built in output (speakers on my desk), bluetooth headphones and then my external card. Kills the flow big time, which is normally the reason I choose Live over Logic (gets me in the flow much better). But this is a real ass-ache unfortunately. Maybe it can be fixed in 11?

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Ableton alway's forgets my UMC1820 interface. Everytime I start Ableton I have to go to preferences, choose my interface, configure inputs and outputs. It's really annoying.
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

mawpf

Post by mawpf » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Ableton add this feature. This wastes creative time

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Live forgets lots of stuff. My songs and user libraries are on a NAS box. If for some reason they’re not mounted, the program reverts to default and I have to redefine them.

Morphido

Post by Morphido » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:24 am

I have similar problem with my universal audio.
I would like to use just my main interface, not built-in, not monitor audio devices, not blackhole... just my universal audio device.
Even when the interface is running before I launch Live, the application shows "no device" in the interface tab. I have to select it every time.
Mac Studio M1 Max | MacBookAir M1 | UA Apollo

nellmusic

Post by nellmusic » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:12 pm

still a problem in 2022 ... Come on ableton ffs

Stokes

Post by Stokes » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I still have this problem. I've had it in previous versions of Live and with different audio interfaces, but I currently see it in Live version 11.0.12 with my Roland Octa-Capture v1.51. I'm on MacOS, not sure if that's true of all the posters on this thread.

Even when the device IS connected as Live starts, half of the time it isn't recognized and I have to select it again. At least when this happens, it doesn't forget all the outputs, but it's still annoying to reselect the same device all the time.