Color at the Device/Rack Level // For Live + Push 2

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dvdpck

Color at the Device/Rack Level // For Live + Push 2

Post by dvdpck » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 pm

As it stands right now you can select a color for Tracks, Clips, Scenes, Drum/Effect/Instrument Rack chains, and I think it would be great to also be able to apply colors to individual Live devices, Racks, and Plugins. This would be great, especially for users of Push 2. There are a lot of reasons that someone may want to change the color of their devices specifically. Since Push 2 shows the parameters of a Live device or VST in the color of the track or rack chain selected, and is able to show you the color of each of these chains nested in each other on the Push 2 display, I think it would be great for visual cues to have the devices themselves be color assignable. This would be great for matching the Push 2 display with VSTs GUI color, ie red GUI = red Push parameters, etc. so when glancing down, there is even more on screen color association than is already taking place. Some users may always want their delays to be green, and their synthesizers to be yellow, or whatever it may be. It would be really cool if it was possible to save a plugin with it's color as a default configuration without having to nest the plugin in a rack. This way, the plugin or Ableton device would automatically load with this predetermined color.

I know this can sort of be done now by nesting plugins in a rack, coloring a chain in the rack, and saving a preset. But I'm not really using macros, and I find it annoying to have to click past a layer of macros every time if I went about it this way all for the sake of color... not as practical in a live scenario. Also the rack/macro portion takes the track color which is annoying when trying to accomplish this.

Right now we also have the ability to assign colors to individual Rack Macro parameters. I think it would be rad if the Push 2 display changed the color of that parameter to match the color of the macro, so you could have multi colored parameters on the screen if you wish.

Of course if none of these colors were assigned, it would default to taking the track color, as it does now in Drum/Instrument/Effect racks.

I'm sure this would also be useful for people not using Push 2, and even just using their computers. Color association is a big part of peoples Ableton workflow already. Couldn't hurt to add it to a few more things!

Thanks!!!

johngrdn

Re: Color at the Device/Rack Level // For Live + Push 2

Post by johngrdn » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:55 pm

+1 on this, would be very useful and very coherent with Live's display to have macro color displayed on push as well