Automation improvements

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Lokan

Automation improvements

Post by Lokan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Sometimes it's difficult to set the exact values that I want when working with automations.

It's gonna be handy to type in the value of each point.

And one more thing, snapping to existing values, this will be great when working with pan and volume automation

Stromkraft

Re: Automation improvements

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Lokan wrote:Sometimes it's difficult to set the exact values that I want when working with automations.

It's gonna be handy to type in the value of each point.

And one more thing, snapping to existing values, this will be great when working with pan and volume automation
I agree.
Make some music!

viktordarnell

Post by viktordarnell » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:22 pm

In addition, curved envelopes need to be improved in order to become useful.
My suggestion would be that the curves can be edited either by dragging the line horizontally or vertically, or by implementing different curve tools. This would include the possibility to curve straight lines.

For reference, look at ie. Reaper.

Best regards
Viktor

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:26 pm

+1

s_decoster

Post by s_decoster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:41 pm

I was actually looking for this, so just to double check: we can't type in exact numbers for automation?

I want to do a volume automation where the first 8 bars volume is -12 dB; the next 8 bars -10dB; the next 8 bars -8dB and so on +2dB more per 8 bars untill it's at 0 dB. Is this possible without the dragging but just typing in the numbers?

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:02 pm

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... reakpoints
Click right-click(PC) / CTRL-click(Mac) on a breakpoint and choose Edit Value from the context menu. This allows you to set an exact value in the editable field using your computer keyboard. If multiple breakpoints are selected, they will all be moved relatively. Similarly, you can also create new breakpoints at an exact value by clicking right-click(PC) / CTRL-click(Mac) on a preview breakpoint and choosing the Add Value command.
♥♥♥