FX processing on clip level (instead of track level)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
alvaro

FX processing on clip level (instead of track level)

Post by alvaro » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 am

Take a look to the new (and FREE) Tracktion DAW:

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw
Clip Layer Effects

Clip Layer Effects is a new, patent pending technology giving you the ability to take complete control of sound design at the clip level. What does that mean? It means you can now stack multiple effects and processing on an individual clip, as opposed to just using plugins on a complete track. The layers of processing can then be hidden while remaining active and recalled at any time for tweaks. For a more in depth look, check out the intro video below.

This would be a game changer in Live workflow. Other DAWs already have this (audiosuite in Pro Tools, though is a destructive editing)

please Mr Ableton consider this :evil:

Stromkraft

Re: FX processing on clip level (instead of track level)

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 am

Would this be simpler than handling Audio Racks with selections, activations and inactivations? Using racks for clip specific effects is very doable in Live. Do any other DAW have something like racks with submixers like that?

I don't think Tracktion is the best role model for Live. Though a good idea is a good idea.
Make some music!

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Seems you didn't notice that quote has a passive-aggressive threat warning other companies not to copy their feature or ELSE ("Clip Layer Effects is a new, patent pending technology").
♥♥♥

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm

pottering wrote:Seems you didn't notice that quote has a passive-aggressive threat warning other companies not to copy their feature or ELSE ("Clip Layer Effects is a new, patent pending technology").
Almost irresistible to implement then. :mrgreen:
Make some music!

abiah

Post by abiah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:15 pm

DAWs that do this

Studio One
Logic
Traktion
Pro Tools (to audio file)
Cubase (to audio file)

it's more a matter of Ableton keeping up at this point

vido

Post by vido » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:37 am

I could see some kind of tick-off-box-view-mode (cmd+e+f) when marking an effect, then tick of/on in each clips in arrangement og session-view. Sounds like a bit of a hassle to implement without issues..
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:06 am

abiah wrote:DAWs that do this

Studio One
Logic
Traktion
Cubase (to audio file)

Studio One, Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase don't have "Clip Layer Effects". It is not the same thing as "bounce in place", etc.
♥♥♥

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 am

abiah wrote: it's more a matter of Ableton keeping up at this point
PO, Ableton don't have to keep up.
Make some music!

abiah

Post by abiah » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am

pottering wrote: Studio One, Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase don't have "Clip Layer Effects". It is not the same thing as "bounce in place", etc.
True Im conflating the processes that allow applying effects on a an audio item(/region/part) level, yes.
The end result is similar - most DAWs now have a process for per-item effects processing, and Ableton is lagging. Clip layering is the most flexible, bounce-in-place a second, destructive audio editing a third

clip layer effects: Studio One; Reaper; Traktion
bounce in place: Logic; Cubase; Studio One, Reason
direct/destructive audio effects processing: Pro Tools, Cubase?

^ off my head/afaik - correct me if wrong. no idea about FL, bitwig, DP etc
Stromkraft wrote:PO, Ableton don't have to keep up
Sorry but I can't read the intention behind this. If you mean that it doesn't need to develop feature bloat, no it doesn't. But it's a safe bet to say that the user base would not receive this as feature bloat.

Here's a more positive, general question - how do you apply per-item audio fx in Ableton?

option A - realtime record
1 open new audio record track, 2 re-route audio to new record track (as "resample" will apply master track fx), 3 set loop bounds, 4 enable punch+out, 5 record to new track, 6 delete relevant audio fx & any automation, 7 re-import recorded part to new track 8 delete recording track

option B - duplicate track & freeze
1 duplicate entire track, 2 delete all other items across duplicated track, 3 freeze duplicated track, 4 render duplicated track, 5 drag rendered audio part on to original track, 6 delete duplicate channel, 7 delete relevant audio fx & automation

option C - render to folder and re-import
1 set selection area, 2 configure render window & export audio to HD, 3 open browser, 4 navigate to HD folder, 5 import onto original track, 6 delete relevant audio fx & automation

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm

abiah wrote: how do you apply per-item audio fx in Ableton?
D) Racks and automation.

E) grouped tracks

It makes little sense to ask Live to be what it is not. Features, schmeatures. It's about getting the song finished, not about what's convenient. As I think Live have extremely serious issues to attend, such as resource usage, these convenience factors must take second place. After this I could list about 100 things before this suggestion.

Not that you should let that affect your will to see this happen. I do understand your motivation, but I really feel Live isn't good enough to waste development effort on such things as you suggest here. I could see it being implemented in connection to when Ableton create the new Live mixer, another thing that would be very important and affect everybody.
Make some music!

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 pm

pottering wrote:
abiah wrote:DAWs that do this

Studio One
Logic
Traktion
Cubase (to audio file)

Studio One, Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase don't have "Clip Layer Effects". It is not the same thing as "bounce in place", etc.
In Studio one you can have clip/event fx and you do not have to bounce/render. They are real time unless you decide to render.
Oz

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Yes, bounce-in-place would be amazing.