Support for symlinked folders in Live 10's Browser

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
acYm

Support for symlinked folders in Live 10's Browser

Post by acYm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 pm

So I've been told by support that I was "lucky" that my symlinked libraries worked just fine in Live 9, and that it's "normal" that it doesn't work anymore in Live 10 - even though symlinks are really just folders and I've never seen any kind of software have any problems with that.

Until the issue is fixed (or support is added, whichever) I'll have to use FL's browser as a vst inside Live to display and use my libraries.

acYm

Re: Support for symlinked folders in Live 10's Browser

Post by acYm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:03 pm

lol... because of a youtube video posted today, I'm noticing that even in Logic, symlinks have always been used by various users without issues... and not even the good old logic, the new, Apple logic that's based off garage-band.

Can I at least get the option to re-enable full browser functionality through the options.txt file?

The noobs that are likely to destroy their whole computer through symlink mismanagement won't even know it's there!

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:50 am

You can try Folder Junctions instead, those work fine.
♥♥♥

acYm

Post by acYm » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm

holy crap you're right, it does work. didn't think about trying that, then again neither did support - and they sure made it seem like I shouldn't bother. you just made Live a lot less annoying for me. cheers.

Hermann Schinagl FTW, gonna save the day for me once more

for those on windows who don't know about Link Shell Extension, get to know, amazing stuff.

boogle

Post by boogle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:54 am

I guess this is a workaround for new collections, but I have so much already sorted as symbolic links,

Just got Live and found this issue, any workarounds, otherwise it would mean converting 100s(?) of symbolic links to junctions.

d9sus4

Post by d9sus4 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:02 am

I cant believe after 6 yrs I'm still suffering from the exact same "feature"...
On macOS I found no workarounds. It's impossible for me to organize a huge sample library within current Live's file browser