No MPE, so instead how about a compromise?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Sargentpilcher

No MPE, so instead how about a compromise?

Post by Sargentpilcher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm a reasonable guy. I don't expect the entire world to bow to my will. If ableton doesn't want to provide MPE support and be on the bleeding edge, then that's their choice. So I bought a ROLI block, and I love this thing. It's been a slow burn, and it started with my toe in the water, but the deeper I go, the deeper I want to go. I got the block, then I got some MPE synths. I've been making due in ableton as there is technically MPE support in the form of multiple MIDI channels. It's clunky, but it WORKS so whatever. I've never been shy about workarounds that require some duct tape. So I've been jamming on this thing and I see so much potential, but there are some things holding it back significantly from being used seriously.

I am NOT a talented keyboard player. I jam some keys on the piano, and it's sloppy, but once the MIDI is in Ableton I can fix it no problem. So I jam on the ROLI, and I am extra sloppy. It's a little bit weird playing on this thing and takes some getting used to. No problem! I'll just fix it in post like I always do! Except, you quite literally can't. This is what it looks like

https://imgur.com/a/cwTiI99

So like I said, the deeper I go, the deeper I want to go. What would it be like using a DAW with full MPE support? I download the bitwig demo, and it's funky fumbling around for a little while learning the ropes but the MPE element is a DREAM.

https://imgur.com/a/3b0XWeO

So forget full MPE support. Just give us this. Give us a pitch grid for the pitch bend. That's it. Maybe that's a huge undertaking. I don't know anything about programming, but wouldn't this be much simpler to incorporate than full blown MPE support?

I have to say I'm liking bitwig so far, and currently my toe is in the water. I think history may repeat itself with my jumping in. I was going to buy the ableton 10 upgrade, but I may get bitwig instead.

BachelZH

Re: No MPE, so instead how about a compromise?

Post by BachelZH » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am

About the same here.... But for me, it's not a workaround in Ableton to be able to use MPE - it's just horror. So Bitwig...makes it really ease. Come on, Ableton...

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

Sargentpilcher wrote:So forget full MPE support.
No. NO! Just NO!!! Full MPE support and nothing else.
Sargentpilcher wrote:I'm a reasonable guy. I don't expect the entire world to bow to my will.
You don't have to expect that. You are by far not the only one who is asking for this feature. I would say "give us MPE already" is the "let us automate more than 128 VST parameters already" of 2018. And we all know how that ended ;)
Sargentpilcher wrote:Give us a pitch grid for the pitch bend. That's it.
I think the problem there is that then the Clip has to know about the Pitchbend setting of the Device. If you do that you're basically half-way there to implement proper MPE support. So they should do that right away.
And it already should have been in Live 10.0. So it should be something for Live 10.5 and not Live 11. I mean who knows when that will be released? In 2022?

Sargentpilcher

Post by Sargentpilcher » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 am

Man I'm new to ableton so I didn't realize the update trouble these guys were having. I think I'm just gonna get bitwig. I'll still rock ableton too though.

Worldpeace

Post by Worldpeace » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 am

I think ond of the major sad points of all of this is that there has been no response from ableton at all about this, even though its obvoiusly a big deal to many of its users. Can someone from ableton at least give us an indication of if we should hold our breath, or just move on? like i am fine with waiting if i know its coming sometime soonish, but if not, let us konw so that we can find alternative DAWS to work in.

My setup revolves around a push 2, Roli and accoustic instruments, meaning that really, ableton as well as MPE are both essential to my setup.

please ableton, just give us an MPE Update, or give us a sign!

I bought ableton 10 and a push 2 outright from ableton abouta year ago, but i had no idea at the time that they wouldnt be able to support MPE and that there is not even a half decent work around. Its really a worst case scenario, BOTH for me, and everyone else who is making music with MPE gear.

Please ableton, just do us this one solid and we will all die happy-ish. and dont forget, world peace on earth.