"Multi Clip Edit", "Select Similar" and "Replace Clip"

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
orbita

"Multi Clip Edit", "Select Similar" and "Replace Clip"

Post by orbita » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:11 pm

I've always thought Live not having aliases/ghost clips is a major issue.

But I actually think a better solution is a combination of the following features..

"Multi Clip Edit"
Ok so Live 10 does actually have the ability to see multiple clips in the piano roll now and this is very useful.
However, my idea takes this step slightly further and allows editing of multiple similar clips at the same time. So rather than with aliases, where you edit one and the others automatically update. You first select the clips you want to edit, then in the piano roll, all notes of all clips are shown on top of each other. If the notes are the same pitch and time position only one is shown. Any edits are applied to all clips. Adding new notes will apply to all clips, moving/deleting notes will apply to all clips. The great thing with this compared to aliases, is that some clips can still be slightly different and can remain so. That way if you wanted to increase say the velocity on the first kick drum in each clip you could do it even including the fills and variations.

"Select Similar"
In order to make the selection part of "Multi Clip Edit" easier, "Select similar" would allow you to select a clip and then it would select all the similar clips (possibly with dialog box with constraints to select identical/similar and same/all tracks) and or colour coding the selection.

"Select by same colour"
It would be useful to colour code and then select other clips that shared the same colour. That way I can colour code my fills and variations and easily select similar items. Copied clips will naturally share the same colour.

"Replace Clips"
At the moment if I make a clip and copy it around and loop it to different lengths. If I change the original clip and want to copy it over the others, I have to copy to each one and then re-loop it to the right length. It would be good to simply copy a clip, select other clips and choose replace clips. This would then maintain the overall loop length that was previously chosen but replace the clip with the new one.

I think these functions together would be more powerful than clip aliases/ghosts and possibly easier to implement.

Thoughts??!

orbita

Re: "Multi Clip Edit", "Select Similar" and "Replace Clip"

Post by orbita » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Nice device - i got it and it seems to offer alias functionality - although I still think multi editing might be more flexible.

However it seems to have a big problem (probably due to not being core feature) that means undo doesn't work for edits to clips that are managed by this device.