Softube Console 1 Track Follow

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
MOSELEYNOISE

Softube Console 1 Track Follow

Post by MOSELEYNOISE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 am

I use Push 2 and think it is amazing but would also love to use Console 1 by Softube but unfortunately the console 1 software and ableton live can not support track follow which means it is a bit clunky to navigate and the lose of seamless integration goes against its intended function to me.

Spoke to softube and they said they would love to include it but need to work closely with Ableton etc.

Any one else want to see this feature?

ToneShop

Re: Softube Console 1 Track Follow

Post by ToneShop » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Indeed,would love to see this happening.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:44 am

+1

It’s one of the few reasons I export my individual tracks and move to Studio One to perform the final mixdown.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

thowell

Post by thowell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:07 pm

hey i use to own Console One but the lack of track follow / auto naming in Ableton Windows made me sell it after a few months

however i came across a work around that may work for me in another forum but need someone using Console One in ableton windows (or mac) to test it for me

If you turn the Console One ableton vst device in ableton off & on (the yellow button in ableton) does the Console One software switch focus to that channel? best to test whilst its focus is on another channel.

Thanks a lot to anyone that can test this for me.

ToneShop

Post by ToneShop » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:42 am

Nope,it doesn't follow when switching on/off

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 am

I decided to make a track follow device in Max for Live to help a little with this issue.

The controller buttons on the Console 1 output Sysex data so I'm grabbing the button presses and turning them into track select messages.
You can have up to 1000 pages (20,000 instances of Console 1 plugin) in a project.

This only works from the controller. You can select any track on the Softube Console 1 controller and Ableton Live will follow the track selection.
If you select a different track in Ableton Live it will "NOT" follow on the controller or in the Console 1 OSD (better than nothing eh?).
Right now it selects tracks even if there isn't a Console 1 plugin (could be useful anyway).

Page up and down buttons work just like the controller.

I haven't added the ability to follow to Return tracks or the Master track yet but I will add those eventually.

Drop the Console 1 Track Follow device on an empty MIDI track.
Set the MIDI preferences to Console 1 input Track "ON" (all other off including Console 1 outputs).
Set the MIDI input on the track to Console 1 and change the MIDI Monitor on the Track to "In"
The controller will now flip through Ableton Live tracks with the matching track number on the Console 1 Controller.

One way is all I could figure out.
I'm self taught in Software development/Computer Networking so it's all a bit brute force for me (aka time consuming).

I tried to communicate with the controller by watching messages get sent over internal network sockets etc and I think I know how it communicates to the controller but I have no idea what messages to send it or if I would even be able to make it work (it's a mystery). I managed to make the Console 1 software crash and freeze up while spamming it sysex messages using udpsend in Max MSP so I think I'm hitting it through localhost or broadcasthost on device lo0 and some random IP address I scraped up.

So for now (and maybe ever) controlling Ableton Live with the Softube controller "while" still controlling the Softube Console 1 software is the best I can do.

This is the first Max Device I've made so go easy on me.

Console 1 Track Follow

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=5055

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 am

ToneShop wrote:Nope,it doesn't follow when switching on/off
I think it might follow when you load a new instance of Console 1 plugin... not ideal though.

thowell

Post by thowell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 am

With vst3 now supported can some test the VST3 version to see if this works?

atzerodt

Post by atzerodt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm

thowell wrote:With vst3 now supported can some test the VST3 version to see if this works?
I asked this in a different forum. Sadly, it's no better. https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... h_softube/

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am

I just updated my free Console 1 Track Follow Max device to version 1.1.
It's not integrated control 100% but it's better than just track names and numbers.

The new version has a simplified MIDI setup using the imp MIDI externals(automatic for the most part).

Also now includes being able to switch to the Return/Master tracks that have the Console 1 plugin on them.

At least this way Ableton Live follows the Console 1 controller 8)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=232140