MIDI Mapings, saveable and edit them

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Cyrec

MIDI Mapings, saveable and edit them

Post by Cyrec » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:50 am

Hello I am new here. Hope I am at the right place. It would be so nice and easy if I could safe the Midi Maping Table onto my HD. Also it would be cool if I could type directly Mappings to the selected Function while Midi Map is activated and/or edit them in the Table manually.

For example: I would like to assign the Midi Note C1 on Channel 11 to the Clipstop on Track 1. At this time I have to route a Midi Device onto the Channel 11 and press the C1 on it. Where it not very easier if could type on my Keybord: 11/C1.
And then During Performence I notice that it has to be C0 instead C1 or channel 12 instead channel 11. Now it where very, very, very cool to be able to edit this Commands directly in the Table wich I can see when the Maping is activated.
At least it where nice if I could export the table for backup and for example be able to edit it in textedit etc. directly for other projects.

I know I can make Templates with the mapings. But in dynamic Projects this way is not useable. At this time I allways have to tell the whole band: make a break, I will program this! And they tell me: We are landing drones on mars but simply edit a Midi command is not possible!?

Thanks for reading and sorry for my english...

asarghmatey

Re: MIDI Mapings, saveable and edit them

Post by asarghmatey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 am

I agree with editing midi map tables. I would think there is at least a some hack for this if anyone knows it.

guillaumeguiom

Post by guillaumeguiom » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 am

Yes, it would be nice to not start from scratch with our hardware's controller.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:49 am

IsotonikStudios.com/product/clyphx-pro-bindings

Does much of what you're asking for....

Cheers
D

saiteron

Post by saiteron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:16 am

please implement saving/editing map tables. i'm a ClyphX Pro user and i love what it adds to Ableton but basic MIDI map editing/saving should be integrated directly into Ableton. it seems like extremely basic and easy-to-implement functionality that would drastically improve the Ableton experience (just got done posting another thread about this exact thing before i found this one so it's good to see there's support out there for this featureset).

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

Hi, you could use CLyphX Pro and it's Bindings add on to write the mappings independent of Live's MIDI Mapping functionality...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cly ... -bindings/

Cheers
D

saiteron

Post by saiteron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm

S4racen wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am
Hi, you could use CLyphX Pro and it's Bindings add on to write the mappings independent of Live's MIDI Mapping functionality...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cly ... -bindings/

Cheers
D
so here's the thing: i LOVE ClyphX Pro and use it in literally every set (my main Ableton set template uses it for a variety of purposes) but i also want something a little quicker and more improvisatory than what's offered by Bindings. in fact, the main issue i have with bindings (for my specific use case) is that it seems to require a bit of pre-definition of the parameters of the controllers to prepare them for use, as well as a little good old fashioned Ableton menu diving to set things up in the MIDI control surfaces menu.

i perform a lot of improvisational music and i often use virtual controllers such as TouchOSC or the Empress Effects Zoia, just to name a few, in which controls may change dynamically over the course of the set and i don't always know what controls i'll need. for instance, with Zoia it's pretty easy to create and delete new MIDI signals on the fly. if Ableton were to implement this feature, accommodating those controls would be as simple as right clicking my target and entering what i just entered on the Zoia to get it working. i'll then be able to consult my MIDI mappings pane in Ableton if i need to see what i've already mapped and where and/or delete a mapping on the fly. if i instead use ClyphX's bindings, i'll need to first define a list of controls that i can interface with, script on-the-fly to create the mappings, then keep a mental inventory of what's already been mapped and what it's been mapped to so i can avoid any undesirable overlap. for me, using a computer in my set is supposed to remove the added "memory load" of performance and keep my head and hands on the sounds where they belong. in short, for a more fixed set (like i play in a few projects), bindings are incredibly powerful and useful but for improvisation it is a bit limiting.

tl;dr i love the MIDI mapping panel that already exists as it is straightforward and simple: it shows me what's mapped and where and even gives me the opportunity to adjust output ranges on the fly (an A+ feature which could only be improved upon with the addition of function mapping graphs imo, but i'll save that for another feature request thread...). i would, however, like that mapping panel to be more liquid, less fixed. ClyphX Pro, while amazing, does not have a GUI (one of its strengths for sure: lightweight, quick and easy to use, invisible) and this lack of GUI in relation to MIDI mapping lists in particular would put an undue memory load on me in the midst of free improvisation and composition (which Live claims to be focused on). can we just have an extra option in contextual/right-click menu for MIDI mappings, one that simply says "edit midi mapping" and lets you change the channel or CC number of an existing mapping via simple text entry? that's all i want.