Why oh why can we not deactivate tracks to save resources?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
pnelligan

Why oh why can we not deactivate tracks to save resources?

Post by pnelligan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 am

Use case: I'm recording something with an FX chain, I duplicate it, mute it (because I don't want to delete it), but it still eats up resources. To save resources now I have to disable every device in the FX chain and disable each clip. Wouldn't it be great if I could just right click on the track and click 'deactivate track' so that it doesn't use up any extra resources?

hoffman2k

Re: Why oh why can we not deactivate tracks to save resources?

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm

pnelligan wrote:Use case: I'm recording something with an FX chain, I duplicate it, mute it (because I don't want to delete it), but it still eats up resources. To save resources now I have to disable every device in the FX chain and disable each clip. Wouldn't it be great if I could just right click on the track and click 'deactivate track' so that it doesn't use up any extra resources?
Use Freeze. It renders the track as audio and uses minimum resources.

pnelligan

Post by pnelligan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Hoffman2K, it's a reasonable suggestion. The problem with freezing is that it forces me to get rid of all my takes for each track in the session view, otherwise it just takes aaaages. Another workaround which I've found is grouping tracks for different takes of each instrument that use the same FX chain. Still, it would be nice to just deactivate, especially when everything is so resource hungry.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:40 pm

there are a few M4L devices which attempt to handle this issue.
I tried a few some time ago but eventually went a different direction to solve my problem (rendered out stems and said "this is what I have")

a quick search turned up this one, which I've no idea if it's the one I used, or if it still works in current Live 10 which is one of the main issues with Max devices and Live. Divergence.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... itch-audio