we need a Linux Ableton Live version, it's an emergency!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
polantioche

Post by polantioche » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 pm

mac os is Satan, windows is Satan!
what do you thing?

seipherdj

Re: we need a Linux Ableton Live version, it's an emergency!

Post by seipherdj » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Agree, I would love to move back to Linux full time. Only roadblocks are Ableton and Adobe. That and probably VST support not being great in Linux.

Goldmaster

Post by Goldmaster » Tue May 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Please @ableton add Linux support. It's 2021. I know of winehq but it's better to have something that works natively. Windows crashes very easily due to 1 bad driver and you need flexasio to be able to use link and other audio software at the same time. Missed an opportunity to launch onto Linux with live 11.

jonahj

Post by jonahj » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 am

I agree as well.

I'd love to run Ableton on Linux. It's the main app that keeps me on Mac/Windows.

Let me know if y'all need a beta tester! :)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:53 am

Well, it's not a frickin' emergency, but I'd sure like to see it. Problem is, it's a fair amount of work for not a lot of money depending on the tools you use. But if Trackion and Bitwig can do it, then...

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:36 pm

There should be a music OS based on Linux or UNIX. But one that is supported by all major DAW vendors. I use Reason too, and their rack into Live is fabulous.

It should be able to run VST's too.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:53 pm

polantioche wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 pm
mac os is Satan, windows is Satan!
what do you thing?
Neither OS is Satan.

They both have good points and bad points.

I would think Linux would be the same. For me to switch, more than Ableton would need Linux versions. I would hate to not being able to use a good bit of my plugins.

compy

Post by compy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:14 pm

I want as well a version for

Chromebook
Harmony OS
Tizen
Symbian
Blackberry
Amiga 1200

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MissAngie

Post by MissAngie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:28 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:53 am
Well, it's not a frickin' emergency, but I'd sure like to see it. Problem is, it's a fair amount of work for not a lot of money depending on the tools you use. But if Trackion and Bitwig can do it, then...
For twenty five years that I have been using Windows I still find it difficult to trust it, I always have the feeling that there is mercantility and that they can change our habits with the snap of a finger, upset the interface and add noise. We must increasingly consider converting Live Windows to Live Linux using artificial intelligence :idea: , dear Ableton team.
Last Ableton Live for progressive psytrance, I hope for life.
I recommand the quite or hot pearls hunt in the https://www.psyshop.com CDs seller database (to plan aspirine).
"Less is more", motto of minimal art.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:19 pm

And yet, here we all are 25 years later and none of those professions are really a concern and it’s just another operating system. Linux is great and all, but as mentioned has it’s own set of issues to address and support and simply isn’t wide spread enough to justify a new team to support it.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:01 am

I 100% think Ableton should start a internal Linux version of Live to learn the tech for the future (maybe for realtime OS, or broaden the potential hardware base, like the stuff people listed in previous posts, specially if Ableton plans to expand their hardware line beyond Push), but not sure it is really a good idea to actually sell it (or market it in public in any way), even in a alpha version w/ ample warnings it is a test and it may never really become full version.
♥♥♥

Nekz

Post by Nekz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:49 pm

It might be difficult to make a Linux version. I suppose it was easier for Bitwig to start from the ground up instead of converting an already complex software to another OS. Nevertheless, I would LOVE to see it happen.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:51 pm

It all depends on the development tools they use. I'm not up on that stuff anymore, though I have seen people mention what's used. If it doesn't support easy porting, then we're SOL. If it does, they still have to commit to using Linux's audio frameworks, whatever those may be. Sorry to be so vague, but my programming days are long gone.

I also think that there's not a lot of money to be made on Linux. I could be wrong, but...