Preference: Put track names ON THE LEFT.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
henrik242

Re: Preference: Put track names ON THE LEFT.

Post by henrik242 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm

This gets a +1 from me too. Lots of good arguments here already :-)

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:09 am

Please do this already!!

oolala

Post by oolala » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm

bumping this. I've moved from pro tools to ableton for creative reasons however im almost considering moving back.

across a 27 inch monitor i will often get the track mixed up.

it takes a lot longer to edit a track and then to scroll across and press arm track etc.

i'm all about increasing workflow and this keeps on getting in the way of big sessions when recording.

thanks for listening. loving everything else mind you!

tomgulbinas

Post by tomgulbinas » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 pm

It seems like a lot of people would prefer this so it should at least be an option you can choose in the settings.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 pm

I would prefer it, but I’m used to it the way it is, and it doesn’t bother me.

naykrock

Post by naykrock » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:02 pm

I'd love that!
Been Ableton user for quite a while and there is soooo much to love... But after all this years I might just use something different for arranging just purely for the same reason. I'd love for the layout to make sense!

nautonnier

Post by nautonnier » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:22 am

I think I know exactly why Live is laid out like this. It is for semiotic reasons.

Every signal flow is represented as moving from Left to Right. You are already familiar with this in the Device List. But in Ableton this concept is carried over to. Everything. Always. So in the Arrangement view the signal path starts on the Left with the audio or MIDI clips which flows to the mixer which is on the Right.

Now, I'm not saying this was the correct decision but I would bet money this was their reasoning. Personally, I've used quite a few DAWs and I don't care which side it's on but I can see why it's irksome to people. So making it a thing in Preferences would make sense.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:52 pm

…i route each send to a dedicated audio track so i can rearrange the order like i want it…couldn‘t that be a solution for you?…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Rootxp

Post by Rootxp » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:26 am

+1

do it.
do it.
do it.
(imagine Ben Stillers voice telling you this, Ableton.)

Oh, and before i forget it: Look at your own Beta Forum, Ableton. Look at it. Look at the Feature requests which are stacking up since more than a decade. Look at the Feature Requests which are upvoted by hundreds of People already. Look at them.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 pm

jasper wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 am
Can you PLEASE, at least explain the decision to put the tracks at the end of the arrangement (on the right) ?
This will help your users.

I understand the focus of Ableton Live is not composition, so putting the audio browser
on the left implies that the audio is the instrument.

Whether or not you care to admit to it, it's a clumsy situation writing in reverse.
It's VERY IMPORTANT in many ways to have the
instruments/mixer channels at the beginning of the field of vision (on the left).
instead of having the content of the song over here and the instruments/mixer at the end.

A Preference for this would be a great gift.
While I don't mind Ableton's current implementation, I would love either a Track Inspector View and/or the ability to simultaneously view Mixer and Arrange.

poshook

Post by poshook » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:27 am

I strongly prefer current placement as it makes drag & drop of the content from browser into track so much easier and faster

Rootxp

Post by Rootxp » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:53 pm

poshook wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:27 am
I strongly prefer current placement as it makes drag & drop of the content from browser into track so much easier and faster
Are you saying this, because you fear that Ableton would permanently switch the view?
I hope you realize this is a "preference" feature request, which means: you will not be forced to a different track-placement, it would be optional.

I would add to this feature request: - deep customization of the whole interface. Then we could have the Browser at the right, killing the fear of "drag&drop" being less efficient. ;)

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:32 pm

it makes more sense when you realize that almost every aspect of Live is built with quickness/ease of use in an actual live environment as the paramount concern. it makes sense having track settings on the right for right-handed folks (being the majority).

most of the other design decisions Ableton have made with Live that people think are “quirky” can be pretty easily explained with the same understanding.

BUT, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be an option.