Preference: Put track names ON THE LEFT.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jasper

Preference: Put track names ON THE LEFT.

Post by jasper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 am

Can you PLEASE, at least explain the decision to put the tracks at the end of the arrangement (on the right) ?
This will help your users.

I understand the focus of Ableton Live is not composition, so putting the audio browser
on the left implies that the audio is the instrument.

Whether or not you care to admit to it, it's a clumsy situation writing in reverse.
It's VERY IMPORTANT in many ways to have the
instruments/mixer channels at the beginning of the field of vision (on the left).
instead of having the content of the song over here and the instruments/mixer at the end.

A Preference for this would be a great gift.

hvg

Re: Preference: Put track names ON THE LEFT.

Post by hvg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm

jasper wrote:Can you PLEASE, at least explain the decision to put the tracks at the end of the arrangement (on the right) ?.
+1 but this will probably never happen. As for explanation, I guess it's one of those workflows decisions that "fit our vision for the product" rather than making any god damn sense. Here's for hoping for Live 11!

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Maybe it did not make so much difference when the 17 monitors were common with low resolution and little space. But with today's wide screens (and if you are not used to it) it really is hard. You have a 4 bar loop of tracks on the left of the screen and have to pass all the empty arrange space all to the right and see what is what instead of seeing them together on the left with minimal eye movement. This will never change but an option to have it on the left would be great. Actually an option to swap Browser and Track headers would be awesome.

bluyckx

Post by bluyckx » Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm

jasper wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 am
Can you PLEASE, at least explain the decision to put the tracks at the end of the arrangement (on the right) ?
This will help your users.

I understand the focus of Ableton Live is not composition, so putting the audio browser
on the left implies that the audio is the instrument.

Whether or not you care to admit to it, it's a clumsy situation writing in reverse.
It's VERY IMPORTANT in many ways to have the
instruments/mixer channels at the beginning of the field of vision (on the left).
instead of having the content of the song over here and the instruments/mixer at the end.

A Preference for this would be a great gift.
+2
Do it already Ableton. This is not difficult.

phil71x

Post by phil71x » Sun May 31, 2020 1:42 pm

It makes so much sense

fadingtapes

Post by fadingtapes » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:20 pm

+1, please add this preference. Tracking across the screen is harder (for me and others) with track info on the right.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 am

This would be my preference, Romance languages reading from left to right, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I think the philosophy is that you’ll spend lot of time in Live using the browser, less on mixing.

malenko

Post by malenko » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:47 am

+1 to this for sure!
I think this was an early on decision by Ableton purely to look different to other daw’s which was way back when we were working on just 1 small monitor. Then we then started using 2 monitors which is why Ableton stepped up eventually and allowed us to utilise both screens with a second Live window which was great. But now back to using 1 monitor because of ultra wide monitors and track names to the right just does not work. As a previous poster has said, try working on a few bars and it’s bloody awkward with track names on the right as I myself have found recently so thanks for the op in bringing this up.
So sorry Ableton, it’s time to change and look like other daw’s PLEASE

trtzbass

Post by trtzbass » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:05 am

Agreed! It would be extra useful on super wide screens
--

He tried to play bass

Jordan Brown
bass. production. composition.

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Yes please add this.

Doktor RyConn

Post by Doktor RyConn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 pm

+10 for this one.

I would love if there was a setting in Preferences to make this happen. I am always making micro edits using the play head on the far left of ;my monitor but then bringing the cursor into a different timezone to control the track functions. Please Ableton,we know you are "able to" - It's in your name !!! Thank you. Much love! <3

jonno83

Post by jonno83 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:24 am

Another +1

PrimeSeq

Post by PrimeSeq » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Can I add may full agreement to this one. +1 request. It’s the only DAW, (that I know about), that has track names on the right.

As a left hander it’s particularly irksome that Ableton chose a right alignment. And as someone who’s written a lot of code over the years I know sometimes an “easy” change is far from easy due to dependencies, backward compatibility and the like.

But this one seems relatively straight forward and surely could be an option set in preferences. Maybe the good folk at Ableton want to keep their “dope beat” image.

I have a 34 inch ultra wide monitor, not that expensive and pretty common now. It’s a pain to constantly shift my eye line, or turn my head to the right across a wide blank space to see track names, set automation, levels, record, mute, solo, etc.

I know it’s not that big a deal but it also defies the logic of having an Arrangement View where the composition is created from left to right. And good software, like Live is all about usability (particularly when you use it a lot!)

(Off Topic: Could we also have a better piano roll editor where you don’t have to use a Max device to force scale / key. Push lets you play in a scale, but if you edit the resulting set of notes you can obviously go off key)

Edit: (some time later …) It would still be great to have this, but thanks for scales / keys in the piano roll in the last release.
Last edited by PrimeSeq on Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:17 am

If you’re a right-to-left language user, it’s perfect already!

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:17 am
If you’re a right-to-left language user, it’s perfect already!
No, the time line should go from right to left too :)