Implement Velocity Sensitivity the correct way in Simpler/Sampler

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
docbot

Implement Velocity Sensitivity the correct way in Simpler/Sampler

Post by docbot » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 pm

tldr version:
Please include an option in the preferences that implements Velocits Sensitivity the Correct way. Means = Playing a sample at full velocity plays the sample at it's original volume, playing it with a softer velocity, plays it quieter. Right now if you increase velocity sensitivity in Ableton, it will make notes/samples played at full velocity louder than the sample actually is, instead of playing notes with less velocity quieter. this makes it impossible to change velocity sensitivity without the whole mix being thrown off since the max possible loudness always changes instead of just having more articulation in the notes/samples being played.

Example:

If you import a sample that goes to 0dbu into Simpler and put Simplers Volume at -12dbu and Velocity at 0 and strike a note, Simpler will output to -12db (sample goes to 0dbu - 12db reduction from Simpler). But if I now increase the Velocity sensitivity, instead of notes with lower velocity sounding quieter, the volume of notes with max velocity gets increased, which means the sample now actually gets louder and shoots even above 0dbu of Lives interal mixer.

It would be much more logical to play with the velocity settings (on high hats for example) and keep the loudest note always at the same level, to hear the difference of playing with more or less dynamics, instead of always having to constantly catch up by manipulating the Simpler volume or Lives Mixer fader to keep the balance of the overall mix intact.

I know this can't be implemented by default because it would break compatability with older sets, but it would be great if it could be made an option in the preferences.
Last edited by docbot on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

pottering

Re: Option to invert how Velocity Sensitivity is applied

Post by pottering » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:40 am

"It would be much more logical to play with the velocity settings (on high hats for example) and keep the loudest note always at the same level"

No, it wouldn't be more logical.

It would make every velocity-sensitive controller feel LESS sensitive, as the louder (and actually audible) higher velocity notes would barely change evne with Vol<Vel modulation set to max values, while it would make low velocity sounds which are already hard to listen even less audible.

And you can already use the Velocity device to customize the curve, you can even invert it, setting Out Hi to 0 and Out Low to 127.
♥♥♥

docbot

Post by docbot » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:03 am

pottering wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:40 am
"It would be much more logical to play with the velocity settings (on high hats for example) and keep the loudest note always at the same level"

No, it wouldn't be more logical.

It would make every velocity-sensitive controller feel LESS sensitive, as the louder (and actually audible) higher velocity notes would barely change evne with Vol<Vel modulation set to max values, while it would make low velocity sounds which are already hard to listen even less audible.

And you can already use the Velocity device to customize the curve, you can even invert it, setting Out Hi to 0 and Out Low to 127.
The Velocity Device does something totally different, it inverts loudness of the Notes played, so notes with lower velocity become louder than notes played with higher velocity.

Also of course sensitivity would stay exactly the same, the volume would just adhear to the set max volume. Right now if you set the volume of a sample and increase the velocity sensitivity you have no idea where the max volume will end up, except that it will spike into the red of your mixer.

little example:
Take a 4/4 BD Drum that hits at around -12db. Now draw a 8th HH pattern with velocity variation and set simpler to 0% velocity sensitivity.

Now the HH Pattern has zero variation but is in a correct volume relation to the BD Drum. Now if you increase the velocity sensitivity, I would expect to hear more variation in the HH Pattern with some notes ghosting, being quieter. But with the current way it's implemented, it means that now certain HH Notes will be way louder than the BD Drum, which throws your whole volume relations off and means you have to back down the track fader to get it in relation again and you basically have to do this every time you change the Velocity Sensitivity, because it will always change total volume of notes with 127 velocity. Would it be the other way around and notes with lower velocity simply get quieter, which results in exactly the same dynamic, sensitivity, it would be way more convenient.

But different opinion I guess. I just don't see why increasing velocity sensitivity should automatically mean that the signal will spike over Lives's Fader (0dbU)

docbot

Post by docbot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 pm

still annoyed by this! playing a sample with full velocity 127 should play the sample at its full loudness and not louder. reaper does this correct. please include an option for Ableton to behave in a expected way

doghouse

Re: Implement Velocity Sensitivity the correct way

Post by doghouse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 pm

If Simpler indeed does this (never tried it), that's up to Simpler, not Live. I know that Sampler, Analog and Operator (which I do use) don't do that.

Velocity is always interpreted by the receiving device. Most devices of course, interpret it the way the OP asked...max velocity yields the same level as when velocity is turned off, and lower velocities yield lower levels (unless the receiving device supports negative velocity modulation).

docbot

Re: Implement Velocity Sensitivity the correct way

Post by docbot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 am

doghouse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 pm
If Simpler indeed does this (never tried it), that's up to Simpler, not Live. I know that Sampler, Analog and Operator (which I do use) don't do that.

Velocity is always interpreted by the receiving device. Most devices of course, interpret it the way the OP asked...max velocity yields the same level as when velocity is turned off, and lower velocities yield lower levels (unless the receiving device supports negative velocity modulation).
Hello Doghouse, you are correct it is by definition a error in Simpler/Sampler.