Replace sample

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
808byte

Replace sample

Post by 808byte » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 am

So I don't know how much this has been requested in the past. Bringing it up now.

It be great if we could replace a sample by highlighting section of audio samples in the track, audition a sample(hear it ) then right click and replace. Replaces the sample from the one you auditioned. Maybe some parameters to keep envelopes there too.

Its time for improving workflow

jestermgee

Re: Replace sample

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:00 am

Well that's where a drum rack comes in handy for swapping out drum hits if that is what you refer to.

Otherwise, it's really no harder than drag-drop to replace a sample in the timeline.

808byte

Post by 808byte » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 am

yes, you are right about those functions. I use em. I have my work "arounds" for what i described. Its not a deal breaker by any means of course. Its just that if I wanted to just replace a sample for a particular bar/region I can do it fast and simple by highlighting right click after hearing the sample while the track is playing its instant. only for audio or dropping audio samples into the arranger is all i trying to describe. not a big deal.......

808byte

Post by 808byte » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am

Otherwise, it's really no harder than drag-drop to replace a sample in the timeline.

lol
are you a robot?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:26 am

808byte wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 am
Its time for improving workflow

I truly don't get this.
You can drag a sample in from the browser, yeah?
And even if it ends up being too long, copy the section from it you'd like to use, hit undo (so sample disappears), then paste the range you just copied there.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 am

808byte wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 am
It be great if we could replace a sample by highlighting section of audio samples in the track, audition a sample(hear it ) then right click and replace. Replaces the sample from the one you auditioned. Maybe some parameters to keep envelopes there too.
Right click the sample file name in the Sample box of Clip View, choose Manage Sample File. That'll land you here: 5.5.5 Viewing and Changing a Live Set’s File References

[edit] Caution: when you swap the sample the clip will not be renamed to the name of the new sample. May leave you scratching your head later...

808byte

Post by 808byte » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:03 am

Hi Fanu, thanks for your input. Asking me if I how to drop a sample into the arranger from the browser is not helping and is not what I meant. Maybe its my fault for describing this better. My bad.

But Chrk you are closer to what I desire. I don't want or care for multiple clicks to do that, even though I can and do THAT! I want an easy way to to audition a sample from the browser right click and replace instantly. fast! The track is playing and its instant . Maybe a dialog that comes up for parameters also. Think about it.

Btw, I posted here just to get responses on this. Not a deal breaker but its really ideas about speeding up workflows! :)

808byte

Post by 808byte » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:04 am

Maybe this is too much programming for Ableton to do. So be it

808byte

Post by 808byte » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 am

Ok , one more time. Everybody is going to hate me for dragging this thing of mine lol.

ok, say I have a tom/kick played out on 16 bars and lets say that it has fades and volume automatons etc etc.. I decide while IN THE BROWSER going through samples, I find one I think I like by fast auditioning them......I right click and replace.. (everything selected only)instantly updates like bouncing would do. Don't like it, find another sample...do the same...I just think doing this from the browser is logical is intelligent!!!!!!!

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:51 am

Ah, so you mean replacing audio clips on the Arrangement.
Can't be done.
I've been there, and always thought it just makes more sense to do stuff with Simpler/Sampler so you can replace the sample very easily.
E.g., every time I do an additional hihat track on a song, I use Simpler for this very reason: super easy to change it while the song plays and hear the change immediately.

808byte

Post by 808byte » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:14 am

Hi Fanu,

Thanks, yeah you are right about the current way of doing it on the arrangement. no argument there because I I know how it works! When you say it cant be done, well, that is upsetting. You don't understand conception and building better programs and isntead rely on work arounds when we pay masive amounts of fucking money for upgrades

808byte

Post by 808byte » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 am

time for bed