Orchestral packs: poor range

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Ralph A

Orchestral packs: poor range

Post by Ralph A » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:51 am

I have downloaded all the orchestral packs and am disappointed with them all. Especially after reading The lavish descriptions! The sounds are mostly ok but are really annoying in the range and positioning on the keyboard. Some dont even have a whole octave. Not at all what I would expect from the Suite edition so am very glad I didn't go ahead and buy it. Also I don't understand how the samples are supposed to work. Dragging them on doesn't work in the same way as for sounds.
Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Thanks.

doghouse

Re: Orchestral packs: poor range

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Good orchestral libraries are expensive because they require lots of samples and ways to switch articulations easily. The sort of libraries people use for scoring films cost thousands of dollars. I think you would find the orchestral libraries of all DAWs to be rather pathetic, Logic probably has the best one because the EXS24 sampler allows articualtion switching.

The reason some orchestral sounds have limited ranges is because the real instruments do as well. Some libraries assign the samples across the keyboard to match the actual note ranges, so string basses only sound in the lowest octaves, violins only in the highest octaves, etc. Many orchestral instruments have note ranges of only about 3 octaves.

Ralph A

Re: Orchestral packs: poor range

Post by Ralph A » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 am

Hi and thanks for your response.

I should have added that I'm only using the Lite trial version which may make a difference. I do understand about the range of classical instruments but still not happy with these. I have the Roland orchestral sounds on my old JV90 so will have a go with that again.