MIDI Editor Scale mode

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
InfluencaMusic

MIDI Editor Scale mode

Post by InfluencaMusic » Wed May 08, 2019 9:38 pm

This feature was requested a few times probably - but a scale/key mode in the MIDI-editor would be such a great thing. A simple dropdown-menu w/ the most common scales. Keys that aren‘t in that specific scale get „invisible“ (was looking for another word :?: ) ; otherwise the scale could be highlighted.
Drawing in chords/melodies without worrying about being in the scale would be such a relief for music theory beginners like me.

I know there‘s a scale-effect, but it‘s not really useful if you want to draw in your notes . And putting the scale‘s notes in to the negative timeline and folding it is a workflow-killer, imo.

Ain’t nobody got time for music theory lol :mrgreen:

Have a great evening, lads! :)

gbert

Re: MIDI Editor Scale mode

Post by gbert » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 am

+1

You can do a workaround by drawing in all notes of a scale in one beat and then selecting the Fold button. Easiest way is to draw notes on only the white keys, which is C major / A minor. To generate a different scale select all the notes and move them up or down to line up with the starting point of the new scale. For example, to have E major, shift the notes up so that the notes that were on C are now on E. For F minor, shift the notes down so the notes that were on A are now on F. Basically, paint in the white keys and you can make any major or minor scale by shifting the notes based on C as the starting point for major and A as the starting point for minor.

So this works, but... if you have an accidental anywhere, any note that is not in key, then the folding gets messed up. This needs a more elegant built-in solution so that we don’t need to muck around with drawing notes and folding.

gbert

Re: MIDI Editor Scale mode

Post by gbert » Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 am

InfluencaMusic wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:38 pm
And putting the scale‘s notes in to the negative timeline and folding it is a workflow-killer, imo.
Oops, just noticed you already referred to the method I described. Anyway, I completely agree with the need for this feature!