Chord or Reference Track

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
4Play

Chord or Reference Track

Post by 4Play » Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before (if it has - my apologies in advance)
I was wondering if there is any way to create a chord track like in Cubase or S14. I have Melodyne but currently need to drag the sample there, get chords, drag back... Or use Ableton built in slice to harmony,

Issue is that when I make new tracks, they don't follow the chord track.. Makes it much easier when entering baselines, melodies etc. Sure I can use my other plug ins (captain chords /bass/melody, melodic flow etc) but again it's another step and I prefer to use as much stock Ableton as possible. Or at the very least stay within the app.

I do lock to scale on my push, and know shortcuts for mirroring on clip piano roll, but more important is the follow action..
Is it an ARA 2 related issue ??

Let me know
Thanks in advance

wearemindflux

Re: Chord or Reference Track

Post by wearemindflux » Thu May 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi, there is a chord midi effect in the midi effects
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

4Play

Post by 4Play » Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I’m aware of the MIDI but mainly want new tracks (melodies, bass lines, etc) to follow a main chord track key variations. So as the chord track changes chords, so will the other tracks.

I can use melodic flow (or others) with the chords in place (from melodyne or sliced to harmony from Ableton) but it’s a few extra steps and not as intuitive.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm

♥♥♥

4Play

Post by 4Play » Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm

I downloaded and purchased all the J74 tools but honestly didn’t use them much yet. Will give it a try thank you. It looks similar to Melodic Flow but at least is M4L instead of VST.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm

There's nothing really like Cubase chord track.
But as always, there's tricks (M4L being one)
Ableton Forum Moderator

4Play

Post by 4Play » Fri May 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks all, appreciate the help and feedback
MANY things I love about Ableton Live and Push 2 (hence why it's my primary DAW and controller)

WIth Studio One, Reason, FL20, Logic Pro X, Maschine all purchased, and always ending up being put aside for one reason or another

I will continue using Melodyne and Scaler for detection of chords /notes (along with AB slice to harmony), and melodic flow or M4L to follow (along with my ears which should "ideally" be following chords :D

AMoDa

Post by AMoDa » Tue May 23, 2023 10:04 am

+1 this is very important and efficient if we compose lots of instrument

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun May 28, 2023 1:29 pm

4Play wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before (if it has - my apologies in advance)
I was wondering if there is any way to create a chord track like in Cubase or S14. I have Melodyne but currently need to drag the sample there, get chords, drag back... Or use Ableton built in slice to harmony,

Issue is that when I make new tracks, they don't follow the chord track.. Makes it much easier when entering baselines, melodies etc. Sure I can use my other plug ins (captain chords /bass/melody, melodic flow etc) but again it's another step and I prefer to use as much stock Ableton as possible. Or at the very least stay within the app.

I do lock to scale on my push, and know shortcuts for mirroring on clip piano roll, but more important is the follow action..
Is it an ARA 2 related issue ??

Let me know
Thanks in advance
+1
live enhancement suite has a chord function I believe but it is more of a piano roll feature for writing chords and probably not what you want.

I'm think now Ableton has scales, Push3 is out, chords is a big elephant in the room now regarding midi in Ableton so my guess is it is in the pipeline as one of Ableton's niche is being able to play using Pads, so some type of chord tool will help.