extract chain with automations and volume

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JordProd

extract chain with automations and volume

Post by JordProd » Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 pm

i just finished a song in live and i wanted to extract all chains from my drum rack so i can easily export them as individual stems
but when extracting a chain from drum rack , live does not extract any of the automations of even volume information
please make it so when i extract a chain it stays 100% true to the original including all parameters.

Airyck

Re: extract chain with automations and volume

Post by Airyck » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm

+1

Kind of ridiculous as is.

The only way around this right now is to duplicate the entire rack and delete everything you don't need... :roll:

Sometimes it's hard to imagine that Live has been around as long as it has with glaring issues like this unresolved. :?

If it wasn't for M4L I'd probably be using Bitwig by now.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:36 pm

yeah, that's an old one.
Please report to support@ableton.com
Even though its indeed a known issue, more complains means more chances for this to be put on the top fixes list.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Proxy-M

Post by Proxy-M » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Same goes for deactivated notes. After extractions all notes become activated.

When I drag out a channel from a drum machine in bitwig it just stays identical. Automation, deactivated notes and all

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 am

[jur] wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:36 pm
yeah, that's an old one.
Even though its indeed a known issue, more complains means more chances for this to be put on the top fixes list.
maybe this reply should be made a banner image for the whole forum. nothing you care about will ever be fixed, but keep shouting into that void!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:17 am

wayfinder wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 am
[jur] wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:36 pm
yeah, that's an old one.
maybe this reply should be made a banner image for the whole forum. nothing you care about will ever be fixed, but keep shouting into that void!
Don’t exaggerate... Have a look at the release notes.
Still, there’s so many bugs to be fixed and you can’t avoid prioritizing. So if a bug is complicated to fix (even if it doesn’t look so from a user perspective) and only a very few reports have been sent about it, the priority will go to other ones.
I’m not a dev though, so please take my words with moderation.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Proxy-M

Post by Proxy-M » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 pm

The problem is Ableton states that the fact that deactivated notes become activated is by design so it is not a bug to them. They designed this for the (imo) strange user case that if you have disabled all the notes of a particular pad, and you extract that chain, the extracted chain would not make any sound.. (duh) and they don't want you to be confused by that, so they automatically active all notes.

I think it is far more illogic that I would have to manually re-deactivate all notes (or copying the whole drum rack and deleting all other chains) so the extracted chain is what I expect it to be. A copy.

If I copy a muted track, that track isn't suddenly unmuted. When I copy a track with deactivated notes, those notes stay deactivated, so why do they become active when I extract a chain. It just seems odd to me. I know I can copy the notes manually but why should I have to do that. Also, my notes are often not on the grid, so copying and pasting notes often means they are off and I have to move them into place manually.

AP

Post by AP » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 am

Deactivated notes become activated by design? That doesn't make even a little bit of sense. It's November 2021, still no fix, and really it can only be thought of as something that needs to be fixed. Here's what the manual says:

20.8.1 Extracting Chains
...Drum chains have an additional feature: when dragged from the mixer to a new track, they take their MIDI notes with them. For example, if you are working on a MIDI drum loop within a single track and decide that you would like to move just the snare onto its own track, simply select the snare chain’s title bar in the mixer and drag it to the mixer’s drop area. This creates a new track with the full contents of the snare chain: both it's devices and its MIDI data. If you would like to extract only the devices, drag from the chain list instead of from the mixer.

I would like to see this get fixed but if not, then the manual should say, "This creates a new track with partial (not full) contents of the snare chain: including its devices and some of its MIDI data," but that wouldn't make it a better DAW and that would be a bummer.

NOTES I DEACTIVATE BY DESIGN SHOULD STAY DEACTIVATED BY THE DAW, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL.

Many thanks Ableton. I love you.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 pm

AP wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 am
Deactivated notes become activated by design? That doesn't make even a little bit of sense. It's November 2021, still no fix, and really it can only be thought of as something that needs to be fixed. Here's what the manual says:

20.8.1 Extracting Chains
...Drum chains have an additional feature: when dragged from the mixer to a new track, they take their MIDI notes with them. For example, if you are working on a MIDI drum loop within a single track and decide that you would like to move just the snare onto its own track, simply select the snare chain’s title bar in the mixer and drag it to the mixer’s drop area. This creates a new track with the full contents of the snare chain: both it's devices and its MIDI data. If you would like to extract only the devices, drag from the chain list instead of from the mixer.

I would like to see this get fixed but if not, then the manual should say, "This creates a new track with partial (not full) contents of the snare chain: including its devices and some of its MIDI data," but that wouldn't make it a better DAW and that would be a bummer.

NOTES I DEACTIVATE BY DESIGN SHOULD STAY DEACTIVATED BY THE DAW, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL.

As said above, a polite complain disguised as a bug report to support@ableton.com can help :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

China Tang

Post by China Tang » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:57 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 pm
AP wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 am

20.8.1 Extracting Chains

As said above, a polite complain disguised as a bug report to support@ableton.com can help :wink:
这是一个好主意!哈哈哈

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:33 am

I created automations for a Simpler and Utility INSIDE the C1 pad's Chain, then extracted that C1 pad Chain, it created a new Track with the notes and the automations.

Note that in Session View you have to trigger the Session Clip with automation, otherwise the automation defaults to Arrangement.

It makes no sense to export automations for things that are not in the extracted Chain.
♥♥♥