Easier to see fader handles

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Scoox

Easier to see fader handles

Post by Scoox » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:48 am

Fader handles in are very hard to see, this suggestion is to use a color that contrasts better against the background.

I would also like an option to prevent faders from jumping to the absolute click position when the click is not exactly on the fader handle. This way I could just click anywhere on the meter and adjust my fader as required, rather than aiming for the tiny fader handle which takes much more dexterity. In the mixer there's the fader value field which can be used instead, but there are many faders in Live that don't have a separate value display that. eve can be click-dragged, for example, these:

Last edited by Scoox on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Re: Some suggestions for faders in Ableton Live

Post by S4racen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:26 am

Have you tried the different themes?

Cheers
D

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:27 am

S4racen wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:26 am
Have you tried the different themes?

Cheers
D
Yes, but I like the dark theme the best—except for the fader handles. Everything else looks fine IMO.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am

Then visit this site
Ableton Forum Moderator

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am
Then visit this site
Thank's, I'll definitely have a look through some of those. Still, it would be nice if the default dark theme could "fix" this one little thing, honestly I love the way it looks except for this tiny nitpick.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 am

Sorry but this is disappointing, I didn't find any skins that solved this problem, and I don't feel like I shouldn't have to resort to third-party skins to be able to actually SEE essential controls in my DAW. I'm only demoing the software, first impressions are good but little things like this don't make sense considering how well the rest of the GUI is designed.

Rivanni

Re: Easier to see fader handles

Post by Rivanni » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:03 am

You can adjust the color of <ControlFillHandle> in the theme file. This has side effects though. The color of the unselected clip/start/end/loop/transient/warp markers changes too, as do the small lines in the send section in the master channel.

Unselected because when you select those markers or the fader handle, their color changes. But as soon as you select something else, the color set in <ControlFillHandle> returns. So most of the time the fader handles and markers are colored.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Doesn't anyone else think the faders should not leap to the click position? Like, if the fader handle is at -80 dB and I click at 0 dB, it will jump straight to 0 dB 8O It should most definitely not work like that. The fader should not start moving until the mouse starts moving. Knobs work the way I describe which is better as there are no sudden value jumps. It really makes no sense that faders and knobs work differently.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:21 am

Personally I WANT the fader to jump to where I click, it makes it a lot quicker to get rough mixdown levels set for me.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:01 am

Tarekith wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:21 am
Personally I WANT the fader to jump to where I click, it makes it a lot quicker to get rough mixdown levels set for me.
It can also blow your speakers or hurt your ears if you click at the wrong place...

When mixing, faders move small amounts up or down, incrementally. You'd never want the fader to move abruptly (jump) to a specific value, because you don't get to hear all the values in between. Incidentally, that's precisely how hardware mixers work.

This is only made worse by the fact that the fader handle is ridiculously tiny, which forces users to aim for a miniscule area measuring like... 5x5 pixels? I'd much rather click on the level meter and drag up and down to adjust, without having to worry to much about where I click (the meter is nice and big, so it's easier to aim for).

If I need the fader to jump to a specific position, modifier+click could do that.

johnbongaarts

Post by johnbongaarts » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:26 pm

I second the need for BIGGER and EASIER TO SEE fader handles. I want to be able to see these positions at a glance, which is simple to do with any physical console and most other DAWs.