Ability to zoom out further than the clip length/end/start

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Scoox

Ability to zoom out further than the clip length/end/start

Post by Scoox » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:14 am

Ableton Live forces clips to fill up the entire width of the editor, and does not allow zooming out further than the clip length. On an ultra-wide display this is very inefficient. A lot of clips are very short and spreading the MIDI notes across the width of a 42-inch display makes it very hard to 'read' chord progressions and relative note positions at a glance, instead requiring unecessary back-and-forth sideways eye movement to ascertain relative note positions that, had the notes been shrunk down to a couple of inches of screen width, could have been ascertained with a single casual glance. Here's an example (1080p screen, would look worse on a 4K display):

Interestingly, if I adjust the clip length to be shorter than the currently visible area, Live doesn't automatically 'zoom to fit', which means this whole zoom out business is an artificial constraint. It's only when I adjust zoom level manually that Live lets me zoom in but not zoom back out to the original level. So what I would like is the ability to zoom out further than the clip is long.

I would also add zoom to fit buttons 'H' and 'W' to the piano roll, just like in the Arrangement View.

Thanks!