Persistent devices / Reduce load time in performances

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
_Ben

Persistent devices / Reduce load time in performances

Post by _Ben » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Ableton Live can load on a few seconds for simple songs, with midi events, and a few audio files. But load time increases drastically when
  • the song contains lots of audio files
  • the song contains complex sofware instruments
When load time is greater than 3-4 seconds, this prevent from performing continuous in live.

Two approaches can be taken :
  • use mutliple project files as individual songs
  • use only one file for all the set
The first approach fails because the load of software instruments can take more than 10 seconds.
The second approach fails because creating a project with all the resources for the whole set could require two much resources. It also makes very complex the configuration of the whole set as one project.

I tried launching ableton twice to avoid loading sofware instruments at the beginning of the song but I could not route the audio events from one application to the other without important lag on audio latency.
I suggest ableton could manage two files opened at the same time:
  • a master file loaded once for the set containing complex software instruments
  • a slave file for each song containing midi events and only the song specific configuration
The slave projet refers to the Master project for rooting tracks.
I believe this approach could solve the problem of using Ableton in live performances for a complete liveset with no infinite resources and nearly no load time.
Thanks,
Ben.