Floating Tool Tips?

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
wolfer

Floating Tool Tips?

Post by wolfer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Is there any way to see floating tool tips as you hover over a control? Looking at the bottom left of the screen is really awkward and slows working and learning down greatly. As a new user a lot of the tiny little controls are far from intuitive and learning them is going to take a while.

Thx

antic604

Re: Floating Tool Tips?

Post by antic604 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:22 pm

wolfer wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 pm
Is there any way to see floating tool tips as you hover over a control? Looking at the bottom left of the screen is really awkward and slows working and learning down greatly. As a new user a lot of the tiny little controls are far from intuitive and learning them is going to take a while.

Thx
No. But the advantage of help box is you get a much more comprehensive description of the thing + a keyboard shortcut. But I wouldn't mind tooltips, either.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 am

wolfer wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 pm
Is there any way to see floating tool tips as you hover over a control? Looking at the bottom left of the screen is really awkward and slows working and learning down greatly.
Not for me. I only need to press '?' to toggle the info view and better yet: I always know where to look if I need more ad-hoc information about a control; there can never be issues with windows moving in front or behind or whatever other silliness you see in other daws. This is actually one of Live's key features: no floating stuff, everything remains in place within the daw itself.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

wolfer

Post by wolfer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm

The problem is the amount you have to move your attention and eyes takes you away from the very button or area you're interested in. If you want more information, there are all sorts of other ways ways to do that. And adding tool tips does not take anything away the value/use of the help window.

On a largish monitor, like most of us have, corner to corner is > 2'. And if you wear progressive lens glasses you have to actually move your head which is super annoying.

No offense, tool tips might not be for everyone, but for UI's with lots of little tiny buttons that are ambiguous, it's pretty much a settled necessity and appreciated by many which is why most sophisticated applications use them.

I've been a software developer a long time. I'm willing to bet the Ableton programmers don't remember every button in eclipse/visual studio/xcode...or whatever they program in, and rely plenty on some training wheels.

And not for nothing, Live has a somewhat steep learning curve. Tips reinforce learning. And you don't see them unless you hover, so once you're adept with a tool you rarely even see them or can turn them off. There is frankly no downside for an experienced user.

Anyway this is just a wishlist so there's my wish.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Add my vote for tool tips.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:47 pm

+1 The eye and/or neck movement required by the help box, as useful as it is, is extreme. And there's no reason tool tips can't be verbose.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:51 am

Add my vote for tool tips. It's not a small vote. I had a really hard time learning Live and this doesn't make it any easier. :( :( :( :( Oh, I see I already voted. There you go. Oh and also thanks to whoever in this thread mentioned "?" it's better than nothing.