FR: Overwrite clips (pseudo linked/alias clips)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Do you want linked/alias clips?

Yes
90%
No
No votes
Not bothered (might use if available)
10%
Don't know
No votes

Total votes: 42

Aleksandr_Sudin

Re: FR: Overwrite clips (pseudo linked/alias clips)

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Good research and design project!

Aleksandr_Sudin

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:51 pm

eclipxe wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:35 am
Hey all

I've built this functionality using a M4L device. I need to update it for Live 11 first and then I will post more details.
Thanks for your work. Wow, can you actually affect Live's GUI with M4L? I thought that you're limited with this "device strip". Did you really change objects in arrangement view, or just replicated somehow this functionality inside of that bottom strip?

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 am

You can modify the session with the Live API from M4L. I created a new toolbar that floats over the live window. I can't change the actual GUI but it all works.

distant_floats

Post by distant_floats » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Seems like comping won't solve the issue, as take lanes are copies, not links to the notes. Editing master lane does not affect take lane & vice versa. Shame.

Anyway, I'm getting used to not having linked clips as I used to in FL Studio. I think it encourages introducing more variations to the clips.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:36 am

distant_floats wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:15 pm
Seems like comping won't solve the issue, as take lanes are copies, not links to the notes. Editing master lane does not affect take lane & vice versa. Shame.

Anyway, I'm getting used to not having linked clips as I used to in FL Studio. I think it encourages introducing more variations to the clips.
Yeah, but it also adds tedious-ness to edits when you have something simple like a snare track that you want to make an edit to a clip that is duplicated throughout and now you have to dig to replace every instance. Currently using coloured clips to have a visual guide to what is linked but would love to have the ability still to choose to have linked instances so changes to 1 changes all instances.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Hey, nice post.

Did you check out Native Instruments Maschine Software? It works that way. You can use the same pattern in multiple scenes. Just by selecting the scene and the pattern you like (per group one pattern) from your pattern pool - no need to copy/duplicate it each time you need that same pattern in another scene. Only if you want a variation, you create another pattern. A change to an already used pattern then means it is reflected immediately to all scenes where you have selected this pattern for.

jmp909

Post by jmp909 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:10 pm

MallorcaMalle wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:23 pm
Did you check out Native Instruments Maschine Software? It works that way.
I have Maschine but sadly the arranger is lacking decent features like proper automation lanes etc still. Lots of DAWs have this concept of Group/Alias/Linked/Ghost clips: Cubase, Protools (I think), Logic X, FL Studio, Reaper, even Synapse Audio Orion ;) . But Bitwig, Ableton & Reason are still missing it, which I find an odd omission for pattern-based electronic music.

I like the look of the script that Allured posted... Shame there's no version for the arranger view.

J.Garcia's M4L script works for the arranger though I think
http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/alias-clips/

brokenmind

Post by brokenmind » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:54 pm

It is very sad that this simple but yet powerful functionality is not present in Ableton.
Please develop it! +1

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:23 pm

I'm still working on this - will release a Live 11 version soon.

yuanyela

Post by yuanyela » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:15 am

Just as an option, if you want you use it, if you don't want you don't use it.

But at least let the people who need this ************* feature not having to modify 30 clips each time we change a ********* note, if you are so kind, thank you.

PD: If you can also put as a preference to put the channel names at the left (for those who want to use only) I would literally f******* ableton, I will find the way.

bnyc17

Post by bnyc17 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:53 pm

would love this