Search for clips in arrangement view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JustinCG

Search for clips in arrangement view

Post by JustinCG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:49 pm

I've been looking around the internet trying to see if this already exists with no luck. Basically what I'm looking for is some way to search through all of the clips in the arrangement view by whatever they are named. I managed to find this tool that lets you search for clips in the session view, but it doesn't extend to the arrangement view unfortunately :(

I tend to name all of them for organization purposes anyways, so it would be super helpful to be able to jump around and find things in the arrangement when I know what I'm looking for but not where it is.

Scoox

Re: Search for clips in arrangement view

Post by Scoox » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:43 am

Not trying to hijack your thread but I think this FR might tie in well with my FR here because it includes a 'clip pool', which could have a search box at the top, and commands 'Select in Arrangement View' and 'Select in Session View'

I would also love to have a filter box at the top of both Arrange View and Session View where you could just type whatever e.g. 'Drums', ideally supporting wildcards ('?' for single character, '*' for multiple characters), and have Live select-as-you-type clips in Arrange View or Session View, respectively.

Likewise, it would be also very useful for large projects to be able to filter tracks by name, so only tracks matching the filter are displayed. I can see why a lot of people might think this is not a big deal but producers like Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL who work with large track counts use this in Cubase on every project.

JustinCG

Post by JustinCG » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am

I would also love to have a filter box at the top of both Arrange View and Session View where you could just type whatever e.g. 'Drums', ideally supporting wildcards ('?' for single character, '*' for multiple characters), and have Live select-as-you-type clips in Arrange View or Session View, respectively.
Pretty much this, yeah. Even if it was a one-by-one next/previous cycle kind of search it would be hugely helpful.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am

JustinCG wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am
Pretty much this, yeah. Even if it was a one-by-one next/previous cycle kind of search it would be hugely helpful.
To be honest the one-by-one approach is almost as bad as not having this at all. The search function in the FL Studio browser works like that and it sucks. A proper filter that selects all matching items would make clip management super fast.