Shortcut to open VST window

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
boogle

Shortcut to open VST window

Post by boogle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm in session view, and simply want to open the VST GUI of the clip I am working with. CTRL + A + P really hasn't seemed to work for me and there seems no way to shortcut the wrench icon?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Shortcut to open VST window

Post by [jur] » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 pm

It's ctrl/cmd+alt+P
Thing is it's working in a weird fashion and absolutely not reliably.
Ableton Forum Moderator

boogle

Post by boogle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks, yes this is what I am using.

Any workarounds? I am coming from Cubase.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm

That command shows already open plugin windows that were hidden, if the plugin window is closed (not just hidden) it won't open it.

It is Show/Hide, not Open/Close.

There is no shortkey for "open plugin window" AFAIK.

LES can close, but not open, apparently:

https://enhancementsuite.me/
♥♥♥

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:48 am

The ability to display a plugin window using a shortcut isn’t possible but has been requested and wanted for a decade.

As mentioned, the keyboard shortcut above can hide opened windows but not display them, only way is to use the button with the mouse.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am

I guess one of the major headache behind this not being implemented is: which plugin should be open/shown when using this shortcut?
You'd need at least to select the plugin first, no? In this case, as selecting a plugin is achieved by clicking its title bar... where the open/show button is...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:57 am

Yes I assumed there would be some challenges in the fact you can have chains, groups then effects etc.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:22 am

"...selecting a plugin is achieved by clicking its title bar... where the open/show button is..."

...having access to the open/show button from push would be awesome...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 am

Yes +1, and if Push(2) can acces the parameters it would be awesome!!!!! Set it in the option.txt but worked in no circumstance!!!! :|
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

boogle

Post by boogle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:48 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:05 am
You can also set the display to auto-hide and display in the settings, this means the vst will be hidden if you select another active track and gets re-opemed when you select the track its on again. I personally prefer this method myself.
Thanks, and for all replies. How do I do that? I've only owned this a couple days now. Coming from Cubase.

boogle

Post by boogle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks.

Anyone know of future plans to include this option?

danielr

Post by danielr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am
I guess one of the major headache behind this not being implemented is: which plugin should be open/shown when using this shortcut?
You'd need at least to select the plugin first, no? In this case, as selecting a plugin is achieved by clicking its title bar... where the open/show button is...
Selecting a plugin with the mouse is not the only option. Besides Push (obviously) you can navigate between plugins in a row with the arrow keys and bypass them with 0 which is much quicker and the only shortcut missing is the one to open the window of the selected plugin to complete this workflow. The existing shortcut is working properly and makes sense in some situations where you quickly want to close and reopen the already opened plugin windows, so it's not a bug of the existing one but just a second shortcut that is missing (and long overdue as people are waiting for this since so many years and it would be so easy to implement).

boogle

Post by boogle » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:17 pm

danielr wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 am
[jur] wrote:
Selecting a plugin with the mouse is not the only option. Besides Push (obviously) you can navigate between plugins in a row with the arrow keys and bypass them with 0 which is much quicker and the only shortcut missing is the one to open the window of the selected plugin to complete this workflow. The existing shortcut is working properly and makes sense in some situations where you quickly want to close and reopen the already opened plugin windows, so it's not a bug of the existing one but just a second shortcut that is missing (and long overdue as people are waiting for this since so many years and it would be so easy to implement).
agreed it is very much wanted it seemed, thanks,

Aikido123

Post by Aikido123 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm

The lack of customizable keyboard support in this product is appalling. It's a big time waster for me.
The UI is nice for what is supported but it's nowhere near enough for professionals.

WillBarnett

Post by WillBarnett » Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am

[jur] wrote:
Not really. Just open the VST instrument. That would be a brilliant first step. I cant believe this hasnt already been implemented. Its such an obvious time saver especially if youre midi editing and want to switch quickly to the plugin instrument.