Show device slots

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nikuser

Show device slots

Post by nikuser » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:51 pm

When you add a plugin to a track in session view, there are no plugin names in ShowDeviceSlots. You have to resize the track to see the plugin names.
I know that ShowDeviceSlots is an experimental feature. But this little feature opens up new possibilities and can be easily implemented. I don't know why Ableton would bury such an amazing feature. With this feature session view could be easily used as mixing tool. At the moment session view is practically useless, unless you do live perfomance. And also it would be nice to open third party plugins from ShowDeviceSlots by double clicking them or with wrench icon. And also ability to unfold Audio effect rack plugin to view devices that it contains.

Bugged device slots

how this could be implemented

cybercharles

Re: Show device slots

Post by cybercharles » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 am

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 !!!!!
a simple wrench buton in the slots whith third party plugin....
this would be amazing !!!!
Please, implement it ! Our lifes will be better :)
ifa :: in fluxu audio

www.i-f-a.net

Follow me on SoundCloud

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:31 pm

It's an unsupported feature that's been available for years, I think the chance of any improvements to it are zero to none...

Cheers
D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:45 pm

None, Ableton has already said this will not be improved going forward. My guess is that it gets removed entirely soon, there's too many conflicts with other ways plug ins get used like racks and stacked chains.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:45 pm
None, Ableton has already said this will not be improved going forward. My guess is that it gets removed entirely soon, there's too many conflicts with other ways plug ins get used like racks and stacked chains.
Legit interest here, not trying to be cute. Where did they say that? I'd really like to hear about the philosophy and decision chain behind some of this stuff.

And what are the conflicts? It basically seems to be just a list that could be used as an overview and to quickly get to the effect you want. It does seem sometimes that they got halfway to being a bit studio friendlier and changed their minds. Not that I've used it recently. They could easily relegate these options to a "Studio features" pane in preferences where it wouldn't impact live performers at all.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:28 pm

It was either in these forums or the beta ones, I’m not going to spend the time looking it up. It was a test idea from way back around Live 4, it didn’t do what we wanted so it was never taken further. As always people are free to use the options text things they discover, but we reserve the right to remove them at any time. Many are just ways for us to trial new ideas among certain users.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks.

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:17 pm

In my opinion, this has been overcome for a long time by this simple right mouse click.

CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2
https://music.debianium.com

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:24 pm

Not if you’re trying to get an overview of what you’re using in a large mix.

Ast3rix

Post by Ast3rix » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:46 am

This feature has been experimental for years but never added as a real feature. Why does it take so long to add basic things like this? I really hate having to select each track just to see what plugins are listed. Also always having to select the track then select the plugin to open the plugin window. Also I found that this feature is super buggy. There are times when you select the slot button and only the buttons show up no plugin labels appear. I really wish Ableton would pay more attention to adding core feature items. This is something that has been around for at least 15 years in all the other DAW's on the market. It's funny they don't want us comparing them to everyone else, but guys it's a DAW. I love the workflow I love the warp but geez can we please focus on the core?
Ast3rix
————————
Ast3rix Music
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIW7PU ... 6qwiiX5n2A

krisna

Post by krisna » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi I wanted to try this out but in my library folder there is no ableton folder and I can´t find a preference file on my mac. I´m on Big Sur with ableton 11. Does anyone know where to find this folder?

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 pm

You have to create the options.txt file. It doesn't exist until you do. Show device slots doesn't work well with Live 11 for me.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 pm

If this exists in the code, please make it work correctly. It's super handy for a lot of folks.

tomgulbinas

Post by tomgulbinas » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 am

This would make mixing in Ableton so much easier. Having to click on every track just to see what plugins you have slows the whole mixing process down.

This is one of the main reasons why people export and mix/master in other DAW's.

krisna

Post by krisna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 am

also it would be so nice to have the option to turn of all plugins on the tracks you have selected. So you can A/B between what you have mixed. But I guess Ableton is not for mixing and they don´t want to be. Simple essential features are missing. A lot of them.