Allow to change colors of the notes in the piano rolls

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Al Fonce

Allow to change colors of the notes in the piano rolls

Post by Al Fonce » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi,

I was thinking, i don't think there is a way to change the colors of each key (would make it easier to track the root notes )in the piano roll. I think it would be a very interesting feature to keep track of things, that and the ability to change the velocity of the notes more efficiently right it can be pretty long and not very user friendly.

Yes the piano roll needs to be updated .

jonljacobi

Re: Allow to change colors of the notes in the piano rolls

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:25 am

Your suggestion for coloring individual notes would likely just create confusion in the majority of scenarios.

Your suggestion that changing velocity is a long process that’s not very friendly indicates that perhaps you haven’t spent enough time with the program.

No, the piano roll does not need updating in any major fashion.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:40 am

The feature wishlist is a chance for us to hear what our users want. Everyone is allowed to express their ideas on how they think Live could be better, no matter how long they've been using the program. You're welcome to disagree, but please keep it constructive and respectful.
Ableton Forum Administrator

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:56 pm

I didn’t think i was being disrespectful, but noted.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Double-click to enter a note and without letting go of the mouse button, drag horizontally to change the length of the note, and vertically to change the velocity. Keep holding and press the alt key and you can effectively turn off the grid temporarily. I have a difficult time thinking of something more versatile and efficient than this.

Alt+drag to change the velocity post facto. I personally think this could use a keyboard shortcut so you don't have to reach for the mouse if you're not currently using it.

Sorry to have been terse with you. I have been having this discussion with FLS users for a while.

Al Fonce

Post by Al Fonce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:50 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:25 am
Your suggestion for coloring individual notes would likely just create confusion in the majority of scenarios.

Your suggestion that changing velocity is a long process that’s not very friendly indicates that perhaps you haven’t spent enough time with the program.

No, the piano roll does not need updating in any major fashion.
well , would be easier for a non musician (who still have some basic knowledge ) to spot root notes , make a better reading when you want to invert chords , it's pretty simple but i'm pretty sure it would be effective .

As for the piano roll yes it needs some improvement , i'm aware that you can change the velocity with the mouse afterwards , but let's say you want to create a build up (without using any automation or tidious tricks) , you need to go to every note and manually increase the velocity, it's not something that i do everyday but still it would be a nice tool to have.

I'm using ableton for a few years now btw... i'm asking simple stuff practical for everyone

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:53 pm

On editing velocities, is this the kind of thing that you are looking for? (From section 10.4.8 of the user manual, helpfully entitled ‘Editing Velocities’):
Tip: To draw a velocity ramp with notes that are all in the same key track, click a key in the piano roll to select all notes within the desired key track. Make sure Draw Mode is activated and draw the ramp into the Velocity Editor. This will affect only the selected notes.

Tip #2: To draw a linear velocity ramp across a selection of notes, first select the notes that should be affected (using the Shift modifier to select non-adjacent notes if necessary). Make sure Draw Mode is not activated and draw the line into the Velocity Editor while holding the CTRL(PC) / CMD(Mac) modifier.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

Al Fonce

Post by Al Fonce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:22 pm

thanks for the tips mate

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm

You can also create a decrescendo groove and apply it. Split out the notes you want to apply it to, then consolidate once you’re finished.

I think different colored notes would impact users who rely on color to tell which track they are currently editing. Especially in a live setting.

Al Fonce

Post by Al Fonce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:24 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm
You can also create a decrescendo groove and apply it. Split out the notes you want to apply it to, then consolidate once you’re finished.

I think different colored notes would impact users who rely on color to tell which track they are currently editing. Especially in a live setting.
yes but it would be a choice like we do have now, lets say I'm on the same track but I have minors changes on one of my loop, I'll change the color of it so i know this one is different from the rest ... (hope it make sense). I would like to have the same choices with the piano roll , lets say i want to highlight something interestion in my proggression i can select the notes that i want to be a different colors so i know right away what i was doing. And again the cool thing about it is that you don't have to use it, it wouldn't change the fondamental of the piano roll if just add a new simple and pretty cool option.

DawsxKeys

Post by DawsxKeys » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:37 am

Late to the party but I second this, for voice leading in chords and complex drum sequencing it would be awesome to have a colouring palette to differenciate your notes.
Upvote from me

KonstantinosFakinos

Post by KonstantinosFakinos » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 pm

I keep looking from time to time if this feature is added. I think too it is very useful for tracking of every notes degree from a quick look on piano roll. It could be an option inside every track, to choose between regular view and custom color palette.

Sonique

Post by Sonique » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:10 am

Looking for this feature, useful for highlighting root notes or coloring drum grooves!

Konka

Post by Konka » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:45 pm

+1
This would especially be useful with Drum Racks
For example making C3=Red for your kick drum.

I run Superior Drummer 3 and this would help me loads when programming

EDIT: ooo, this is a bit of an aside but also, if this color change could be applies to the Drum Rack Pad itself, or if changing the pad would also change the piano roll note lane, that would be so great for Push users like myself.

anadca

Post by anadca » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:36 am

I am so glad that you were apologised to after being shot down asking a perfectly good question about changing the colour of the notes in the piano roll.

If your responder thinks that it is too confusing to have too many colors or that 'it is not very friendly' then they do not need to change their piano roll colours to keep it simple for themselves.

Yes, the piano roll definitely needs an update!

Updates allow more creativity and muscial possibilities.

This forum wishlist topic is all about inspiring updates for Ableton moving forward.

I was copying and pasting notes from one clip into another and I thought the very same thing that it would be nice to be able to import the notes in a different color to distinguish them from the notes that are already in the clip.

I got around this by muting the existing notes (Select the notes then '0' on the keypad) so that they were white in appearance compared to the inported yellow notes.

I could then compare the position of the notes and work from there.

Wouldn't it be good as well to be able to slide the opacity of the colors of selected notes to see any concealed underlying notes that were there before importing the overlying extra notes?

Another feature that I wish that the piano roll could do is to change the Velocity of the individual notes in one chord.

It would be nice to have a particular note in a chord in the piano roll to be able to ascend or descend in Velocity while the other notes in that same chord remained static or changed for more creativity without having to put that note (or other notes) on a separate track to do that.

If anyone knows how to do this, could you please let me know.

Thank you kindly.