3 things that would make Ableton great

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Dallon426

3 things that would make Ableton great

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:58 pm

1. Better editing options within the arrange page. Pop out windows etc similar to cubase.
2. Customizable key commands. Allow us to use our own keys (override default)
3. More transport features. Rewind, FF, etc. Why? Why not?

jonljacobi

Re: 3 things that would make Ableton great

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm

No idea what you're talking about with the first. Perhaps more detail? I find there's a method to the madness once you're used to it.

The second is a long standing request. Unfulfilled. You might as well dig in and learn Ableton's. I personally wish they were completely customizable and more functions were supported. I don't see how this would negatively effect the main mission as it would be completely optional.

The third: you can rewind and fast forward using the mouse and the readout, so that is already there. In fact, you can FF/REW by bar, beat, or pulse using this method. Two less buttons to clutter things up.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:40 am

Ableton has too many buttons that need to be clicked to do something. And often what I intend to do can't be done. That's why I'd love shortcuts and more options. In general. A more powerful editor. If Ableton took some features from standard daws and implemented them well... Then it would be a super strong DAW. It's good. But it's not quite great yet.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Without specifics, it's hard to really understand what you're missing. I don't know your experience level, but there are ways to do things in Live that are different from "standard" DAWs. I agree on the shortcuts, but Ableton doesn't seem to see the need. I uses a programmable keypad to add my own macros as far as possible.