Proper panic button

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Proper panic button

Post by baseinstinct » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:51 pm

It was asked for in the context of all notes off, so here is my 2c. If it could be something that interrupts all sound generation and switches off VST, it would be very helpful. There are times that, especially during arrangement recording, Live interface freezes even for 20 minutes and does not respond to space bar or clicks on the stop button. During that time, the music keeps playing relatively intact, so there must be extra power that is being wasted. After restarting Live, the recording is lost.
Overall, it is great that playing has such a high process but a panic button accessible via a keyboard shortcut and midi should override.

baseinstinct

Re: Proper panic button

Post by baseinstinct » Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 am

OK, thanks. Three more things, then.

1. Key shortcut and midi assignable.
2. all effects buffers to zero so that when you restore DSP all are silent and not processing anything.
3. playback to stop.

Kythera_Psy

Post by Kythera_Psy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 pm

I have the exact same issue while recording internally with follow action clips, did you solve this problem? Its driving me insane .. Ableton is completely unusable with this technique right now. Very weird
KYTHERA - REVERSIBLE RECORDS

https://soundcloud.com/kythera_official

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:33 am

I don't know a cpu-intense windows app which freezes but can handle that this way - I mean drops all the tools before it faints of strain.
If you think this way, a spacebar does stop playback, but not once the daw stops responding, so you would not work around that with a different key. I think midi controller (proper midi rather than USB midi) could stop playback even half-way into a deep trance.

Or perhaps those which sandbox the processes, but this is a design solution, not something a user can implement.