Lock Recording / Lock tracks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sadfay

Lock Recording / Lock tracks

Post by sadfay » Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 am

Wouldn't it be great if you could have a group of tracks folded away that will record things for you, but won't be disturbed while you are arming / disarming different tracks in a performance?
Allowing you to record individual tracks for mixing later, while not getting in the way of you switching between tracks that you might be recording notes / audio / automation into, for a live performance.

An ability to have a group of tracks "locked" (or locked out?) of other activity going on in Live.

I bring this up, because I encountered this issue tonight! I was doing a "one take" performance thing, recording vocals through a looper, then playing some live beats, then adding keys, then bass, then live bass guitar etc etc ... With each new element, I used my Launchpad to arm a track to record into. However, recording into a resample track seemed to cause complicated arming issues, clips wouldn't let me record into them, in record mode or something... It was weird and I didn't have time to figure it out, so I just recorded my results onto an external digital recorder. Not ideal, as I'd have liked to have been able to mix my performance tracks later.

Anyway..... TL;DR. Locked out groups please!!
That would be lovely!

jbaylies

Re: Lock Recording / Lock tracks

Post by jbaylies » Thu May 07, 2020 2:13 am

I'd recommend setting up Soundflower or Blackhole as an aggregate device with your interface, and recording Ableton tracks in Audacity, leaving Ableton completely free for performance.

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm

Hey, thanks for this suggestion, but I've had no joy getting Blackhole to work at all. Soundflower works, but it's patchy and I get glitches and dropouts galore. I wonder if it's because I'm using a 2012 Firewire audio interface, perhaps? Or my mid-2010 iMac? Not sure.

AustinO

Post by AustinO » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm

sadfay wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm
for this suggestion, but I've had no joy getting Blackhole to work at all. Soundflower works, but it's patchy and I get glitches and dropouts galore. I wonder if it's because I'm using a 2012 Firewire audio interface, perhaps? Or my mid-2010 iMac? Not sure.
Hey. This was nightmare for me also. I couldn't get any virtual routing to work without drop-outs. Tried vmb, vc and even with sample rates and everything all synced. Finally some angel turned me on to VoxengoRecorder. You put it on your master or whatever other channel and it dumps it into system audio where you can grab it with OBS or whatever. More to the point, you can also hit record and it just records everything to an audio file.