Lock parameters in VSTs while browsing presets

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kc80

Lock parameters in VSTs while browsing presets

Post by kc80 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 am

Maybe this is a tall or impossible order but I wish there was a way to lock certain parameters in a VST plugin while browsing presets.

For instance, I'm using Spectrasonics Trillian in Ableton to look for a bass patch with a long release time. I find alot of good sounds but they have short attack and have to tweak the release time every time I change the patch. Seems pointless not to have a way to lock certain parameters.

I realize some plugin producers do have this feature but it's not ALWAYS gonna happen, so I wish there was a way within Ableton that I could make it possible with every plugin.

Richie Witch

Re: Lock parameters in VSTs while browsing presets

Post by Richie Witch » Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 am

Sounds like part of your issue could be solved by clicking the disk icon on the Live plugin and saving your changes to your own personal preset. You wouldn't have to tweak the release of your bass sound every time you return to it because it would be saved for you. Works with every vst, instrument or effect AFAIK.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

kc80

Post by kc80 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Thanks for the reply but I think you misread the issue. it isn't about saving my presets.

I am just trying to "lock" the release time while browsing different sounds. So that, when I pick a new patch to see how it sounds in my track, the release is automatically set to my locked value rather than however it was set in the original patch design.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri May 29, 2020 6:21 am

You would be able to achieve this with Gradient a MaxforLive device from pAtches...

It allows you to mutate between presets and exclude certain elements, it won['t work exactly as you've asked but it's the only solution I can think of.....

Cheers
D

kc80

Post by kc80 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks, Im aware of Gradient but hadn't thought that it could be helpful here, Ill try it.