6 things

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
josefreak

6 things

Post by josefreak » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm

1. I'd like to see better management for mapping a multi-rack instrument to their own mix channels in Live. Currently, you have to use the External Instrument plugin and map everything across. It just seems very convoluted. Other daws can do it way more gracefully (see Studio One).

2. I'd also like to see better plugin management in the browser, particularly, file locations. Live is built on the notion that plugins go to specific folders when they're installed. But these days, more and more plugin installers allow you to choose where to install them so that you can better manage drive space. But Live seems to filter on those specific locations (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins). I know that you can create shortcuts and place them in those directories, but that just seems like a kludgy solution. Just let us point to the folders that we want from within Live.

3. More midi note tools for slicing rather than being limited to just draw mode and the grid. Take a look at FL Studio's Claw Machine plugin. It's so powerful and I use it in almost every beat I make. So please, more midi note editing features.

4. Better vocal comping. I know it has been requested for many years, so what's the hold up? :D

5. Better mixer integration between session view and arrangement view. I find myself switching to session view just to see my meters. It's not a good workflow.

6. And speaking of meters, why not integrate better metering in general? It's not just Live, many other daws have lame, old-school metering. In the age of uploading music to streaming services, there should be way better tools for mixing and adjusting your levels. Why do I have to download a 3rd party metering tool (e.g. Youlean, Voxengo Span, etc) when metering is such an important part of mixing and mastering? Isn't it about time that daws have the best metering capabilities built right in? Please give us better tools to get things right for the different services (e.g. youtube, Spotify, Apple Music, etc).

Tau7ty6

Re: 6 things

Post by Tau7ty6 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:22 pm

+1 Ableton Please!

josefreak

Re: 6 things

Post by josefreak » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 pm

josefreak wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm
1. I'd like to see better management for mapping a multi-rack instrument to their own mix channels in Live. Currently, you have to use the External Instrument plugin and map everything across. It just seems very convoluted. Other daws can do it way more gracefully (see Studio One).

2. I'd also like to see better plugin management in the browser, particularly, file locations. Live is built on the notion that plugins go to specific folders when they're installed. But these days, more and more plugin installers allow you to choose where to install them so that you can better manage drive space. But Live seems to filter on those specific locations (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins). I know that you can create shortcuts and place them in those directories, but that just seems like a kludgy solution. Just let us point to the folders that we want from within Live.

3. More midi note tools for slicing rather than being limited to just draw mode and the grid. Take a look at FL Studio's Claw Machine plugin. It's so powerful and I use it in almost every beat I make. So please, more midi note editing features.

4. Better vocal comping. I know it has been requested for many years, so what's the hold up? :D

5. Better mixer integration between session view and arrangement view. I find myself switching to session view just to see my meters. It's not a good workflow.

6. And speaking of meters, why not integrate better metering in general? It's not just Live, many other daws have lame, old-school metering. In the age of uploading music to streaming services, there should be way better tools for mixing and adjusting your levels. Why do I have to download a 3rd party metering tool (e.g. Youlean, Voxengo Span, etc) when metering is such an important part of mixing and mastering? Isn't it about time that daws have the best metering capabilities built right in? Please give us better tools to get things right for the different services (e.g. youtube, Spotify, Apple Music, etc).
I'm happy to know that one of my feature requests made it into L11! Thanks! (yes, I know a million people were asking for this) :D