Route midi track output to midi effects (arpeggiator, chords, velocity, etc)

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
chigaco

Route midi track output to midi effects (arpeggiator, chords, velocity, etc)

Post by chigaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 pm

I've been trying to organize a workflow where several midi channels are going into a vst (operator) and I realized you can't route the output of a midi track to go into the midi effects of another (i.e. the logical first step in the midi chain). How come?

So, for example, say I wanna route 4 midi tracks to go into an arpeggiated operator. Well the notes are just gonna skip the arpeggiator and go straight into the operator, thus cancelling the effect of the arpeggiator. That's highly limiting. The only solution I've found is to use the function "Track In" and keep my operator track record armed, but that is very limiting when using controllers and midi mappings to jam with. It essentially adds a step to the process when using something like a Push for example, because I am forced to keep the record armed on the operator track and doing so I lose the ability of auto-arming of the Push.

I wish there was the option of routing the output so the notes of whatever midi track can go into the midi effects of a track before going into its instrument, and without the need to record arm that track. I think it would make a simple but essential (and very creative) feature in Ableton's session view, especially when it comes to using its dedicated controllers dynamically

Sam