Completely definable key commands and more of them...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jonljacobi

Completely definable key commands and more of them...

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 am

Yes, I know this has been broached numerous times, but I’m being squeaky. The current implementation of a few is a gigantic tease. Just make them all configurable, provide import/export and a reset button. That’s got to be what? A half day’s work?

YuvalShSl

Re: Completely definable key commands and more of them...

Post by YuvalShSl » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 am

+1

antic604

Post by antic604 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 am
Yes, I know this has been broached numerous times, but I’m being squeaky. The current implementation of a few is a gigantic tease. Just make them all configurable, provide import/export and a reset button. That’s got to be what? A half day’s work?
You think it's a great idea, but in practice I end up changing them every few days in Bitwig or Studio One, because I "think" I came out with better layout or my needs at that particular moment changed. Also imagine your confusion if you went to your friend or a studio and all the shortcuts are "wrong" :)

No, a fixed shortcuts isn't bad, provided they cover most of features (like come on! where' one for notes audition in MIDI editor)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Did you not read the part about a reset button? Save your friend's, reset them, and load your own. Or just reset them and use the defaults

And I'm not looking to paint a Picasso of shortcuts, simply make some of them one finger so I can use them when I have a guitar in my hand without having to reach awkwardly across the instrument. Beyond that, you can match them with other DAWs if you switch back and forth.

If you don't have to use them, how can there be a downside?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:35 pm

antic604 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm
You think it's a great idea, but in practice I end up changing them every few days in Bitwig or Studio One, because I "think" I came out with better layout or my needs at that particular moment changed. Also imagine your confusion if you went to your friend or a studio and all the shortcuts are "wrong" :)
This is what I thought as I configured my first android phones - that would still nerd them to death months onwards. Not the case. When you're done, you will know.
I have been through that with autohotkey shortcuts, and all sorts of configurable environments. The work is usually well worth the effort - you can use its fruit for years.

Besides, you can use only as much as you need. Solo a track with a key - why the fk would anyone not want it to be available? Refocus to parts of screen, open vst(i)'s gui, unmute all tracks even if you are on master track - I think these are essentials.

When you go to a friend's studio, you feel crippled without your shortcuts - and for a valid reason - and you use mouse, as we all do for much of ableton functionality.

Umbu

Post by Umbu » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Only thing keep me off using Ableton Live is key commands that cannot be resigned. It is a basic essential function.

krisna

Post by krisna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 am

i think so too. In almost every other program you can do it. (except pro tools 8)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

UA's Luna doesn't support them and when I asked why, they explained that Pro Tools would never have become a "standard" if they'd allowed user-definable keys. How and why this would be when you can simply reset everything to defaults is beyond me. It's kind of like an industry folk tale at this point.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 am

To the unbelieveres, here is an example of how key shortcuts are of great utility for some purposes.

Looper
F2 to solo played track (goodkeys), Ctrl+F, type 'loop', cursor down, confirm with enter, trigger recording&stop recording (missing key), ctrl+T for a new audio track, ctrl+Alt+Left for the previous track, drag and drop new clip onto new track, enter to trigger playback, f2 to solo, ctrl+Left to previous track, ctrl+F2 to check if the start point needs realigning; if not Ctrl+F2 to unsolo, f12 twice to get your cursor to the bottom panel, end key to get to the end of fx chain, cursor left to select the looper, delete key to delete the looper, shift+home to select the whole effect chain, ctrl+G to group, 0 to deactivate, minus key to wrap it up, ctrl+alt+right to go to the new track, f2 to unsolo... done

After a while, this works like driving - you do not think about the activity - you focus on where and how you want to get there.