Plugin Menu System

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Brian Dowding

Plugin Menu System

Post by Brian Dowding » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 pm

I desperately wish that plugins were handled as they are in PreSonus StudioOne 5 Professional.
They let you set multiple folders for where your plugins are located.
They scan the plugins and have everything sorted by manufacturer.
They have separate tabs for effects and instruments, each tab sorted by manufacturer.
It is infinitely superior to how Ableton handles this currently.
Infinitely.
Ableton has not improved this in any generation of the product and its current implementation feels like something from Windows 98 by comparison.
This can't possibly be that hard to get right if PreSonus can get it right multiple generations in.

I am literally begging Ableton to evolve in this regard.
Show us you are serious about being industry leaders. Please.

Richie Witch

Re: Plugin Menu System

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Try switching to vst3 where you can. It does this automatically (it's part of the spec, as I understand it).

I've been switching all my plugins as they become available. Kind of the opposite of what you're thinking though, because vst3 forces all the plugins to be installed in one common folder. So maybe Ableton was ahead of its time. :lol:

Unfortunately, some people hate having the plugins sorted by manufacturer (myself included), and would rather have their own custom sorting setup by plugin type (compression, EQ, delay, etc), but vst3 just doesn't allow that.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

rrahim

Post by rrahim » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:05 am

Even in this new version (11), there still isn't any mention of an update to the way they handle plugins. I'm quite surprised actually.

gbert

Post by gbert » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:55 am

+1

At least allow any number of Collections, and allow nested folders inside of them. That would enable creating the desired folder structure manually.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

gbert wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:55 am
+1

At least allow any number of Collections, and allow nested folders inside of them. That would enable creating the desired folder structure manually.
You've always been able to do the desired folder structure manually for vst2 in your custom vst folder. Vst3 has been changed by Steinberg, so hard to say what might come of that.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute