Re-sizable group track headers

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wongpongding

Re-sizable group track headers

Post by wongpongding » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Abilty to re-size arrangement view group header size to 1 unit. The minimum size is 2 units, whether or not you are showing automation. Complete waste of space, no reason it can't just be one unit. It shows a shadow version of the groups in the track, which is totally pointless if you have the group open and can see the group tracks anyway. And groups within groups just multiplies the wasted space and you end up with rows and rows of empty space in arrangement view. The automation button just hides automation. It would be better if it collapsed the group header size to 1 too, the second unit down being a lane for automation, or if this was able to be done via usual resizing operations. Cheers

Lokua Chicago

Re: Re-sizable group track headers

Post by Lokua Chicago » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 pm

Hello I came to request either the same or a similar feature / feature revision. I totally agree that group track headers in arrangement view take up too much space. It seems the only reason this space is there is to make room for the overview of contained tracks and like the OP I agree this feature is not really valuable, especially considering the screen real estate sacrificed for it. Perhaps this group overview/preview could be coupled to the overall Overview (as in Cmd+Opt+O) so that we can at least hide it and reclaim the space?

Here are some screen shots to illustrate my real world scenario. I have a Recording group I use to pull in many external audio tracks and this group is really just for that: Recording.

Even worse is when I'm working on my final arrangement and not using the Recording group at all it still takes up significant space, and this space grows linearly by the amount of tracks contained within.

wongpongding

Post by wongpongding » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Lokua, you've explained and illustrated the issue really well. I guess we're the only two people in the entire world who have noticed this and are frustrated by it. Which is, of course, a massive frustration itself!

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:00 pm

I am 3rd :)
The more tracks you put in, the fatter the group track becomes which serves no purpose except losing valuable space.
In other programs I set all my group tracks as the smallest size.

Der_Landvogt

Post by Der_Landvogt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:10 am

Guys, I feel your pain!
+1 on that feature request.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:31 pm

It’s been discussed elsewhere. I don’t understand the current design myself and don’t like it, but it might make sense in a live performance context. I think it’s massive overkill when you have colors and names but what the hell do I know?

+1

HowardCharlesUK

Post by HowardCharlesUK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm

+1 I've been thinking about this a lot recently

Double Tap

Post by Double Tap » Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am

The Group tracks dead space is part of it, but I find the way track heights works is quite frustrating. I'm constantly dragging tracks or take lanes or automation lanes or tracks to resize them so I can see what's going on.

pain staging

Post by pain staging » Fri May 21, 2021 11:09 am

+1

tomgulbinas

Post by tomgulbinas » Sat May 22, 2021 5:01 am

+1

In a DAW like Ableton where everything is on a single screen, stuff like this really matters.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun May 23, 2021 7:31 pm

I think it's this way for performers who use groups for entire songs, etc. However, I think it's needless and a bit of overkill given you can color and name groups, etc. It's like that clever bit of kit that looks good, but actually gets in the way for other purposes.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 pm

+1

11arshaan

Post by 11arshaan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:51 pm

:!:

It should be a toggle for global and per group, but at least a global toggle to turn the group header preview on or off.

Also, maybe clicking and dragging a group header to minimize size auto-disables the clip preview.

Should be an easy implementation. It'll really improve the arrangement flow to be able to save that extra screen space when needed.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:42 pm

To be honest, I really hate the way it's done now. I kind of understand the logic, but it's just a pain for anyone who's not performing Live with a limited amount of tracks/content. I don't need hints about what's in my folder tracks, and I sure don't need to automatically close them when I resize the header.

+++1 Make it optional.

tristanperich

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:15 pm

+1