Custom presets preview

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Depka

Custom presets preview

Post by Depka » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi,

please consider possibility to let us create user presets of our beloved plugins with sound preview when scrolling through them on push for example. If it is possible for stock presets of Live instruments it must be doable for custom user presets. At least tell us what the file format should look like so we can make some app for this ourselves.

One very kind girl did this for NI https://bunker8.com/download-preset-mag ... s-presets/ and it would be really great to have something like this for Live as well. When it comes down It's really just a VST loaded into container/wrapper and playing C note, which is recorded and packed in correct format.

Thank you

chrisfreeq

Re: Custom presets preview

Post by chrisfreeq » Wed May 26, 2021 2:02 pm

+1,000,000!
We need this.
When you have hundreds / thousands of self made presets, it's a tedious and time-consuming job to create a track then delete over and over to find the right sound.

moe

Re: Custom presets preview

Post by moe » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:51 pm

In fact you can do it. Just have a look at some legacy packs if you have any installed (show package content on macOS).
You just have to mimic the folder structure and edit the virtual folders & properties files with a code editor.
You can create custom sound categories & more importantly even create packs this way as well which can then be added by "add pack", if you google it you can find info how to.
Got my whole NI Komplete, Arturia, UAD and tons of other stuff categorised that way so it doesn't clutter my user library like it used to.

Didn‘t actually take it as far as creating an audio file (ogg) for each preset to preview though but it is possible.

It‘s a little tedious at first but as I already had made the effort save so many presets to racks it was well worth the time because hey you can‘t be creative all the time and as we were locked up due to the pandemic. Once you get it it‘s just a matter of copying a pack and switching the content and editing the config files. Can‘t believe there is no easy way to do it though, guess companies want us to stay in their ecosystem which is kind of shady and only compromises creativity.

After using Live since v 3 I also had an unbelievable amount of downloaded and self created presets and this was an absolute game changer for me, especially as the browser kind of gives you a hard time as it is only showing a certain number of search results.
Mac Pro 5.1
UAD Apollo16
Push 1
Push 2