Please give me a way to launch a clip on a given beat of a bar -- 12-second audio example

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ark

Please give me a way to launch a clip on a given beat of a bar -- 12-second audio example

Post by ark » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:06 pm

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-koenig/pickup-beat

This is a slight modification of a clip called Katrina-Intro BrushSizzle 87bpm that is part of the Session Drums Club factory pack. How do I make a single clip that gives me this audio on Live? I want to do three things that are currently impossible:

1) When I launch it, I always want it to start on beat 3 of a bar, so that the kick drum comes in on beat 1 of the next bar.

2) I do not want to do this by putting three beats of silence in front of it, because then whatever clip was previously playing will stop too early.

3) When I stop the clip, I want it to stop at beat 1 of the bar, with the kick drum; not stop just before that kick drum.

I think it is a simple change to Live to make this possible:

1) Honor the stop point even for looped clips. Right now, when you stop a clip, that clip stops playing at the end of the clip, even if a different stop point is set. Why allow a stop point if it's going to be ignored?

2) At the moment, starting a clip starts it when its start point lines up with the next quantization interval. It would be much more useful (IMO) if it were to start at the next instant that would cause 1.1.1 to line up with a quantization interval--weather or not that clip is looped. The compatibility question could be answered by applying this behavior only to clips created in Live 11 or later, and automatically converting clips from earlier versions of Live.

If you agree that this would be useful, please lend your voice to this thread. Thanks!

Aleksandr_Sudin

Re: Please give me a way to launch a clip on a given beat of a bar -- 12-second audio example

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

I'm not sure, if I got it right, but I think you can do it if you select "1/4" value in "Quantization menu" in top left corner, instead of default "1 Bar".

phobon

Re: Please give me a way to launch a clip on a given beat of a bar -- 12-second audio example

Post by phobon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:56 am

Just wanted to comment that this is a great proposal that I would use almost daily.
As it is right now, the fact that you can even set the start and loop points to anything besides 1.1.1 makes little sense since Live will basically ignore that offset whenever the clip is started.

The workaround given by Aleksandr_Sudin kinda works, but it requires you to start the clip much more precisely when doing it manually and triggering via follow actions doesn't work at all if you want your 1.1.1 to align.