Custom Key commands

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
The Rabbits

Re: Custom Key commands

Post by The Rabbits » Mon May 24, 2021 6:21 am

A combination of a few things.

Max4Live devices, Selected Track Control, Shortcut Buddy, TekktrackControl and TrackController for most things. Stability is variable!!

Focussing on using my midi controller and a custom script called Selected Track Control (just to be awkward). I've made a few changes to this script and in the process found a few limitations that make some things virtually impossible to implement for anyone outside ableton. So we're kinda stuck.

Learning the ones that are there. Seriously, there are more than 200!! I counted. 😉

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:59 am

I would argue that ableton wants to sell its hardware and other hardware controllers associated - akai, novation etc.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Mon May 24, 2021 11:16 am

I have a novation Launchkey and there are things you can't do with that either. Regardless of whether you use their script or write your own.

Specifically, you can't resize the Clip editor and you can't open and close specific vst windows. Among other things.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 pm

We’ve drifted into making more functionality available. That would be nice as well, but I have no desire to head into M4L to do these things though I would if I was told the key handling routine could be accessed.

I would like Ableton to allow users to redefine all existing key commands. It’s child’s play programming-wise and they already have a marvelous partial implementation baked in. All that’s required is the will to expand it. Apparently they don’t like the idea. I have no sense why, and they’re notoriously tight-lipped so I’ve just learned to work around it.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Tue May 25, 2021 5:43 pm

The m4l devices I listed can be keyboard mapped or midi mapped.
The things that we don't have access to are a weird collection. Anyway, they exposed more with v11 and my guess is that will continue.