Drum Rack Needs Some Imagination Added...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
waveformz

Drum Rack Needs Some Imagination Added...

Post by waveformz » Mon May 10, 2021 5:43 am

Is it me or is Drum Rack just a poor way of slowing down the creation process. I mean don't get me wrong it can be very powerful in it's own right. But programming drums in Ableton is horrible. Are Drum Machine VSTs and Loops I create from my own drum machines the best way to create original sounding beats?

For instance I'm a big Roland Style TR drum programming fan... It just flows to create something quick... Can't we have this luxury and at the same time have a way of creating flexible, imaginative drum tracks which are original and still allow control over the sonic possibilities Drum Rack already does and future improvements could eventually allow at the same time?

I'm still new to Ableton Live but not to making music in DAWs. I guess I'm looking for a better interface then a Piano Roll....

jlgrimes

Re: Drum Rack Needs Some Imagination Added...

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:41 pm

I don't think there is nothing inherently wrong with the Drum Racks themselves.

Piano Roll is another story but it even has cool functions. For step sequencing the Push really makes Ableton drum workflow nice. One of the best step sequencers I've worked with.

For layering, effects, filters, chopping. What more could you want in a Electronic based Drum environment?

Might want to consider some M4L tools. I'd guess they would have something that's works more like an 808, although I think Ableton's piano Roll does a decent job at drum step programming.

jonljacobi

Re: Drum Rack Needs Some Imagination Added...

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:19 pm

So let me get this straight. You want flexible and imaginative, but you want the drum rack to do it for you? It's just an instrument. Your brain is flexible and imaginative. Hopefully. Use that. Use an instrument.