[Live 11] Tempo Following to multiple input channels

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
qosmo

[Live 11] Tempo Following to multiple input channels

Post by qosmo » Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am

Hi,

First of all, big thanks to the Ableton team for realizing the new tempo following feature in Live 11! The feature is one of the features I have been dreaming of!! :D

Currently, I'm working on a live DJ performance integrating turntables/vinyl records and Ableton Live. I want my Live set to follow the tempo of incoming audio from my DJ Mixer that works as a USB sound card (namely Pioneer DJM-750).

The problem is that I have two turntables/audio input channels(obviously!). So when I perform, I have to switch the input channel of the tempo following feature on the preference window every time I mix records ;-)

Is there any workaround for this purpose? Is it possible to follow multiple channels? :?:

I have tried Soundflower and its alternatives, but it seems like the slight latency of virtual audio routing software makes it difficult to synchronize the tempo perfectly: the synchronization sounds a bit off to my ear.

# It would be nice if Live can follow one of send/return channels so that I can send two DJ input channels into one send/return channel and Live can follow the channel. But it may face the same latency issue as in the case of virtual audio routing software....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Nao

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: [Live 11] Tempo Following to multiple input channels

Post by [jur] » Tue May 18, 2021 1:15 pm

Unfortunately, you need workarounds, either software or hardware. The current implementation is stucked to one external source at a time.
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Seems BeatSeeker is included free with Suite now (it used to be a separate paid product):.

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/beatseeker/
♥♥♥

qosmo

Post by qosmo » Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 am

Thank you very much! I didn't know BeatSeeker device exists... It says it's discontinued though, it seems working on Live 11. Thank you!!