changing the number of visible macros causes a mess

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JordProd

changing the number of visible macros causes a mess

Post by JordProd » Thu May 20, 2021 10:56 am

every time i need to add 2 more macros to my effects rack all of my previous macros gets messy
please change that so it just reveals or hides 2 macros at a time without changing the order of the macros

here is the behavior that i expect it to have:

when you have only 1 macro, it only show macro 1 , of course
when you add the second one, it reveals macro number 2 below macro 1, just like it is now

but then, when i add two more, macro 1 and 2 should stay in place, and macro 3 and 4 should be on the right side of them, macro 3 on the top row and macro 4 on the bottom row.
and so on, just keeps revealing two more macros at a time, always to the right and without changing the order of the previous macros.

instead, the behavior in this situation right now is that macro 2 moves to the top left position and 3 and 4 are revealed at the lower row.
if i open 2 more it just keeps getting messier and messier. right now the only macro that stays in the correct order is 1.

PLEASE change that!! it makes it a nightmare to add or remove macros which for me breaks the experience completely
or at least give us the option to manually drag macros to change their possition

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: changing the number of visible macros causes a mess

Post by [jur] » Thu May 20, 2021 3:08 pm

Sure this is not ideal, but what you suggets would give us racks where odd number macros would be on top, and even number ones on the bottom... which would totally break controllers' compatibility/consistency.
I don't think this is going to change, but that's just a guess.
Ableton Forum Moderator

JordProd

Post by JordProd » Thu May 20, 2021 3:46 pm

that's why i think they should at least let us re-order the macros using drag and drop

schlam

Post by schlam » Thu May 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Hello.

I really find that really messy too how live handle the addition of new macros.

When you have 2 macro you have one below the other

If you add news macros you have :

1 2
3 4

The macro 2 is moved etc...

The solution could be to 'simply' add the news macros to the right without changing the already existing macros places like :

1 3 5
2 4 6 ....