Feature request: ability to turn off Follow without following

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tristanperich

Feature request: ability to turn off Follow without following

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm

I'd like to be able to turn off "Follow" (command-shift-F) without jumping to the playhead location.

The problem is that Follow cycles between 3 modes if I have zoomed/scrolled the display, and there is no way to turn it off without re-enabling it first (and thus jumping away from my current view and losing my place). In other words, Follow's behavior is inconsistent and depends on if I have scrolled, which is an unusual user interface decision.

Example: I often have Follow turned on, then zoom/scroll to a location where I want to work, then I want to turn off Follow so I can continue working in that small zoomed area. But, if I try to toggle Follow from the menubar (or command-shift-F), it instead re-enables Follow and jumps to the play head.

(In older versions, Follow simply turned off if toggled, which was much more helpful (for me). In that case, if I wanted to jump back to the playhead, I just turned Follow back on again.)

pottering

Re: Feature request: ability to turn off Follow without following

Post by pottering » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:31 am

tristanperich wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm
I'd like to be able to turn off "Follow" (command-shift-F) without jumping to the playhead location.

The problem is that Follow cycles between 3 modes if I have zoomed/scrolled the display, and there is no way to turn it off without re-enabling it first (and thus jumping away from my current view and losing my place). In other words, Follow's behavior is inconsistent and depends on if I have scrolled, which is an unusual user interface decision.

Example: I often have Follow turned on, then zoom/scroll to a location where I want to work, then I want to turn off Follow so I can continue working in that small zoomed area. But, if I try to toggle Follow from the menubar (or command-shift-F), it instead re-enables Follow and jumps to the play head.

(In older versions, Follow simply turned off if toggled, which was much more helpful (for me). In that case, if I wanted to jump back to the playhead, I just turned Follow back on again.)
???
♥♥♥

jonljacobi

Re: Feature request: ability to turn off Follow without following

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:11 pm

It turns off every time I make an edit. Not sure what you're doing that makes it stay on.