Feature Request: ability to select single-width Clips/Clip Slots in Session view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tristanperich

Feature Request: ability to select single-width Clips/Clip Slots in Session view

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:28 pm

If I resize my columns in Session view to be single-width (i.e. the narrowest column width), I can't select individual clips (or empty clip slots) without triggering play/stop on them. It would be nice to have a modifier key (such as option/shift/command) that allows me to select a clip without playing it.

It's possible to context-click (i.e. control-click) the clip and then escape out of the context menu and leave the clip selected, but this is inconvenient, and this hack only works to select one clip, not multiple clips with normal modifiers (holding down shift/command etc), and obviously it's not possible to double-click a clip this way. It's also possible to click in a single pixel width at the edge of the clip that doesn't trigger the play button, but this is essentially impractical.

(I'm currently working on a project with upwards of a 100 tracks, so it would be very helpful to be able to make the columns as narrow as possible.)