Feature Request: Normalize audio clip gain non-destructively

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tristanperich

Feature Request: Normalize audio clip gain non-destructively

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:50 pm

I'd like to be able to auto-set an audio clip's gain so it peaks at 0dB.

Currently this can only be done by consolidating the clip, which take time and creates an extra unnecessary audio file and requires the extra step of setting the resultant gain to 0.

The only workaround I currently have is to show the audio file in the Finder and run an external analysis on the file to get its peak and then enter that manually in Max, such as the Sox command line:

Code: Select all

sox input.wav -n stats
(A related request is being able to enter more than 1 decimal place of precision in the Gain field.)

tristanperich

Re: Feature Request: Normalize audio clip gain non-destructively

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:56 pm

A bonus feature would be being able to normalize the gain of the whole clip to a selected range of the audio file (which would allow me to "ignore" any loud bump impulses etc. on the audio recorder mics and only normalize to the intended audio).

tristanperich

Post by tristanperich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Also with regards to my note that it would be nice to allow extra precision in the gain field, I see that two decimal places can be entered but only for values less than 10dB, and above 10dB only 1 decimal place is registered. Even if the display rounds the exact entered value, it would still be helpful to enter a number with any decimal precision.

compy

Post by compy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Besides this, a simple red line to display where the audio clips

Audacity like