Expanding the Spectrum effect, or Eq8, completely freezes the Ableton GUI in 4K

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
tomasmark79

Expanding the Spectrum effect, or Eq8, completely freezes the Ableton GUI in 4K

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Hello to Ableton.

Reproduction:

Create empty project with 2 TRACKs.

1) Include to the both tracks any 3rd Plugin (I am using for example Pigments by Arturia).
2) Include to the any one track Spektrum effect.
3) Play any simple clip or play to with midi device in any track with any notes in loop.
4) Open first one Pigments GUI to visible Windows
5) Expand Spektrum
6) Open second Pigments GUI to visible Windows

result is:
Unexpected behavior is that all freeze in neverending loop and not possible to use controlls with computer mouse.

Please note one important thing I need to mention.

I can have 8 or more TRACKS and I can have instances of the Pigments effect actively displayed for all of them, and everything is smooth.
But once I expand a native effect like Spectrum, or eq8, the whole Ableton fails even if a single Pigments plugin is displayed, or two views where the condition is already fatal.

The problem concerns more elements across the entire spectrum of third-party plugins and native effects like eq8 or spektrum, and maybe some others that I haven't used in this combination yet.

I'm sure you can try to reproduce this serious mistake yourself. But to be sure, I created a video where you can see the whole process.
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvU9BSTXPE

I have tested all to do, but this seem is Ableton limited issue.

This problem topic sent to technical support too with all required files.

Thank you, best regards Tomáš.
Last edited by tomasmark79 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2
https://music.debianium.com

tomasmark79

Re: Expanding the Spectrum effect, or Eq8, completely freezes the Ableton controls.

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Today is the first time in my life that I am going to try to install a BitWig demo, because I have just run out of patience after 3 years of hoping for a better GUI.
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2

jestermgee

Re: Expanding the Spectrum effect, or Eq8, completely freezes the Ableton controls.

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 pm

Its screen res/GPU related!

You have a rather high resolution, on a 1080 display I follow your exact procedure and it runs smooth as butter. Duplicate pigments and play 10 tracks, still smooth

One reason I still use 1080P resolution is it is FAR better resource wise than having large resolutions especially when you wish to open something like a real-time oscilloscope requiring like 8K or resolution to drive. Try lower your display res by half and see if that improves things, or don't open the waveform into full screen, lower it a bit.

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 am

If we want to be cool, sometimes we need to be honest.

Thank you for the idea to reduce the monitor resolution on my 4K monitor. This is definitely what I will do, and then I will switch the resolution back to native resolution for other work on the desktop.

I bought an extra powerful device to degrade it and send it back 10 years to full HD resolution, which displays huge pixels on my 4K monitor.

Ableton is a wonderful thing and has allowed me to learn a lot of things, but I've come to the end of the journey with Ableton, and because I like myself, I can't go on with Ableton. After a few days moving to Bitwig, I'm just sorry for the lost years at Ableton. And I've been so excited in Ableton for 3 years.

I don't want to be ungrateful to Ableton, I had a lot of fun with him, but you fell asleep. You literally let Ableton ossify and grow old. And I'm so sorry, because the potential of Ableton has been taken away from you by bitwig and everything. It's time to admit it.

Thank you to all and Bye.